ex-canon, no more than 4000 rpm under load, bubbling exhaust

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

ex-canon, no more than 4000 rpm under load, bubbling exhaust

Post by volvofox » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:39 pm

any ideas ?

My friends 480 turbo 1989, ( the lot of discussed about former car of vince)

suddently had this problem, as driving. the car is now even slower than an es. I noticed the orange (single print) boost controller was warm

also noticable is the fact that it runs far to rich, because the exhaust is "bubbling" as you release the throttle.

of course, the turbo pressure gauge only slightly lifts in the white yield ( used to run deep into the red, remember the pictures)

We hope its nothing mecannical, normally this is not the case in a 480, but this thing is altered to the max, which is no good for reliability.

the odds are highest is something electric. Lets hope it is something simple.

any ideas ?
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:48 pm

Put some fuel in it! :lol:

Sorry :wink:

Could be a vacuum leak :dunno:
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

stephen morton
480 Newbie

Post by stephen morton » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:06 pm

check the catalytic convertor to see if it is broken inside.

My works car ( k reg fiesta ) the cat broke to bits and clogged my exhaust only allowing me to rev to 3000 rpm and a top speed of 40mph :x not fun trying to drive 30 miles every day.

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:26 pm

That happened to my 440, till it jammed solid on teh motorway :angry: , stalling the car at around 85mph! nasty!
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:00 am

well, maybe i wasn't clear enough. the exhaust smells like petrol, and it sounds like backfiring small amounts of fuel in the exhaust (bubbling. (maybe poorly described.)

I advised him (maybe i do myselves) to do the audible and/or the electric injector test. I also wonder if it has anything to do with the lambda sonde.

he himnselves things he has a vacuum leak on the serving side of the waste gate, so its opened a bit, and leaking air towards the exhaust, so the lambda sond finds oxigen, and making the mixture heavier.
I thingk the part of this story the waste gate is dumping in the exhaust b-sh*t (it is dumping in the low "pressure" side of the turbo inlet ?)

Note that he said something was loose at the exhaust.

I think the fact that the car is still leaking vacuum through the brake servo has nothing to do with this directly.

any comments ?
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:03 am

By the bubbling, do you mean a small set fast-happening of mini-explosions in the exhaust, a bit like the sound rally cars make sometimes? (or a bit like farting on a box lid? :lol:) My car makes a noise similar to this if I allow the revs past 5k underacceleration, it hits 5k and the power goes, and when I release the accelerator, this set of small explosions happen. It is caused by the car leaning out and edging towards detonation in my case. Perhaps the fuel supply needs to be looked at on this car?
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:39 am

yes, it has an error with the effect of over fueling tghe exhaust even smells of petrol. he has something loose there and thinks of closing a hole there. as it is in front of the lambda sonde it can also influence the system (it measures oxigen, and than makes the mixture richer) I don't know about that, i havent seen it from below-yet
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen