Engine turns over but no ignition, dead, died

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

doug_480_turbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Engine turns over but no ignition, dead, died

Post by doug_480_turbo » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:23 pm

NickyNackyNoo wrote: RE: Spark Plug activity
Removed one of the leads and attempted to spark a plug on the chassis. No activity
Remember even if there was a spark it might not sparking in the cylinder because the presure is differant making it harder for the spark to "jump".

Hope you get it sorted soon.
J Reg 92, 480 turbo, twin tone grey, dump valve, incar boost control running with dbs mbc, pipercross induction kit and some silicon hoses.

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:11 am

I think we all agree YOU win the anual volvo480europe nobel prize this year :)

but come down of your horse.

You think to much, and to fast. as anyone else stated... its something simple. I can say its always something simple.

I remember a wile back someone had troube with the many cables that STEER the coil, as there are several. Donot underestimate the print in there also.

(PS Sorry for mentioning the accepted dutch word "bobine" which of course is french, as many basic car terms accepted as dutch an other example "bougie" "piston"-pen "cardan"-as. it seems the most early dutch cars were french aperently)

I think its superfluous to mention you already downloaded the official volvo (sorry, some dutch words) electric schedule. others have faults. If not try and look here http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk dragon also has a partsbook available, with "exploded vieuws" nescessary in later diagnosis and rebuilding/reinstallation.

lets agree the trouble is between the ECU and the coil. Cheapest is first to clear out it has nothing to do with the "many wires on the steer side of the coil.

A simple thought however can be as simple as : did you measure the resistance of the wires between the ecu and the coil ???????
(use the official e-schedule as guide!)

since youre a fighter in troubleshoot it can take a footstep to crush a ant, not a F16, a leopard II tank, a cruise missle, karate, judo, box class,and an uzi :rofl:

luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

NickyNackyNoo
480 Newbie

Post by NickyNackyNoo » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:38 am

Hi Volvofox

RE: 40Mb Electric schedule
I'm afraid I'm unable to pull it down. The thing is it's 40Mb in size and I'm on 40k best dialup (negative courtesy of BT who say we need 500 broadband activations in a country village of about 150 people).

RE: Wiring loom
There are signs in the vehicle that the loom has been replaced or worked on before, judging from the neatly wrapped insulating tape at every opportunity. Whoever did this before didn't bodge the job by any means, it's definitely had time put into it. Of course that doesn't mean it's working and stray resistance could be present. The question I'm asking myself is "What has changed to cause this?" If it was resistance it would indicate a gradual material breakdown causing intermittent running surely.

RE: Too fast, too quick
Gotta defend myself here but I feel you may be right, it's something bog simple. I just wish I knew what it was. Without that spark it rules out the fuel pump/fuel delivery. It's not an HT problem as the HT's so simple anyhow, so it must be the LT side of the system. Either the ECU or it's sensors. What sensor checklist can we follow?

The thing that points me to the ECU is that the ingition signal goes high the moment the key is turned, and that it then stays high. But if the ECU is functioning then it must be the flywheel pickup, which checks out at 206 Ohms.

If anyone's got a B18E and an analogue meter handy, quickly run out to your car and connect the meter between ground and the right hand pin of the 2-pin connector on the coil (looking car face on, or left hand pin if ur in the car looking forward). Does it go instantly high? Does it flucuate with the engine being turned over? Refer to Hayne's manual for this just in case you end up taking out your ECU, the other pin is II which I think is power supplied to the module.

You all just know don't you that I'm going to replace that ECU and coil, and it's still not going to work. We'll see later on today. If that's not the problem then I'll have a working and tested B18E ECU for sale at the end of this.

Am just thinking "There is no spoon."
Last edited by NickyNackyNoo on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickyNackyNoo
480 Newbie

Post by NickyNackyNoo » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:02 pm

It's a runner!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the physical coil windings (not the ECU or coil computer module).

The parts were removed from a very rusty and tatty E' reg Volvo 480. It even had some blue neon strip lights on it!! Am guessing an MOT failure as they didn't know. Got the ECU and coil module marked in view of the 'unknown' status of the vehicle. No accident damage.

Got an ECU, the coil & module, and a newish drivers wing mirror for 30 squid.

RE: Old Coil
The physical coil had failed on the vehicle, even though the primary and secondaries had not disintigrated and still returned resistances. The original computer module (not the ECU) is still operative. This module will not be refitted to the vehicle in case it is associated with the coil failure.

RE: New Coil
The new coil measures 0.8 on the primary windings, and 4720 Ohms on the secondary. Well within tolerance of 4000 Ohm +- 1.5K. The backing plate/computer module removed from the donor vehicle is also functional.

RE: New ECU
The ECU removed from the donor vehicle is housed in a case with different markings. It is marked Renix without any manufacture dates, as opposed to Bendix, although continues to contain a Fenix 3 ROM. It is functional. I have refitted the original as this new ECU is quite tatty and covered in oxidation.

RE: Old ECU
The old ECU is fully functional.

RE: Haynes book of lies
And here comes the criticism. The HBOL is full of absolute crap when it comes to testing the ECU signal. I had followed the instructions explicity for testing the ECU output to the computer module, with the results as per Haynes indicating ECU failure. But Haynes do deserve some recognition as they've helped us out on so many occasions.

So at the end of that lot, thank you all for offering assistance. Hopefully this post will be of assistance to someone in the future.

With thanks,

NickyNackyNoo.
Last edited by NickyNackyNoo on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:05 pm

:hopping: I bet you are one of the happiest 480 drivers out there!
Glad you got it going
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

NickyNackyNoo
480 Newbie

Post by NickyNackyNoo » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:09 pm

Yup, I'm well happy. Thanks MatBat.

(previous posting highlighting estatic reaction removed)
Last edited by NickyNackyNoo on Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:10 pm

okay........ well um..... thankyou, yes that is lovely.
Remember to wash your hands! :lol:

And clean inside of windscreen :D
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:44 pm

Quote:
Am just thinking "There is no spoon."unquote.

mr Anderson..... welcome baaacck.... :D

You also have this huge daisy on the top of your necks rear ? :lol:

No kidding,

I hope you find pleasure to help others here as you did "yourselves"(not referring to the above deleted)

warm welcome.

hope you enjoy many faultless kilometers

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

NickyNackyNoo
480 Newbie

Post by NickyNackyNoo » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:07 pm

Hi Volvofox,

Yup, it's certainly been an experience these last few days. Running off in every direction with a bit of frustration added for good measure.

Now to find Nelly a new front wing. Will post in parts section.

Tell you about that ECU. Same guts but different labels.

Scrappy ECU model number for a B18E is 436507. Also marked as S101290101C. Original ECU is marked as S101290101D and comes from a 1989 ES, UK registered as a 'coupe in the London area.

I sincerely hope somebody else will benefit from this thread and we have brought as much information as possible together. Glad to help my friendly 480 pals.

NickyNackyNoo.