Draining the Cooling System and fitting a Water Pump

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

asterix
480 Newbie

Draining the Cooling System and fitting a Water Pump

Post by asterix » Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:07 pm

Hi There -

The water pump on my 1990 ES has started to weep, so I've bought a replacement. Before I go into the task, though....

The Haynes manual says that there's a seperate drain tap for the cylinder block, but doesn't say where it is - anyone know?

Also it gives specific torques for the pump bolts: I don;t have a torque wrench, so are the settings vital? If they are I'll buy one.....

Any other tips or hints gratefull appreciated! My car has aircon, if that makes a difference.

Cheers
Bruce
Happy driving!!

Bruce

'91 ES, cheap but great....

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:31 pm

Never seen this separate drain tap....

you won't get a torque wrench and socket etc anywhere near most of the bolts with out removing the engine. so don't bother, just do them up till they are tight so it doesnt leak! ;)

a set of ratchet spanners, however, would be a
VERY useful purchase, as would making sure you have an 11mm spanner with a cranked head like this ```\___ (kind of!) to get to some of the recessed bolts.

It is possible, just don't rush - remember some of the bolts must be through the new pump BEFORE it goes on the car, as must the pulley, haynes implies it can come off/go on separately. it cannot! there is not enough room (at this point i started throwing things!)

good luck, hope this is usefull :D

p.shaven't ever touched a car with air con, but I would imagine it would make it more of a pain in the arse :x
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

doug_480_turbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by doug_480_turbo » Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:36 pm

chris1roll wrote:

as would making sure you have an 11mm spanner with a cranked head like this ```\___ (kind of!) to get to some of the recessed bolts.
A swan neck spanner is what i think your meaning and there are super handy

And if you are buy spanners buy single hex and not multi hex cause the bolts on most 480 have seen better days and you can get a better grip with single hex.
J Reg 92, 480 turbo, twin tone grey, dump valve, incar boost control running with dbs mbc, pipercross induction kit and some silicon hoses.

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by gerrsvolvo » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:05 am

Aterix
one little tip in adition to what Chris wrote.
get Firstclass tools form Facom Belzer and other workshop makes.no hobby tools.
They have a better grip and do not so easely ruin the boltheads as hmany hobby tools do.
An other tip if you do use ratchetspanners. Do not use these to get the bolt moving. If the power needed is of the kind that you need Obelix :rofl: to do it you could easely ruin the ratchet.
o only use the ratcket side on bolts that are moving.
Good luck
Gerrsvolvo

coyote1980
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by coyote1980 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:57 pm

I replaced the waterpump once on my 1987 ES, was not too hard, but I did had to go to the VW-dealers on my bike (they were closest) to get them to remove the pulley (is that correct? I mean the wheel where the alternator-belt runs over) from the pump itself. So don't do this on sunday if you need the car again monday mornings if you catch my drift ;)
Daniël Wilten
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection 1995 Dark Green Metallic
Club Europe chairman/webmaster/forum admin