Water pump for my turbo

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

doug_480_turbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Water pump for my turbo

Post by doug_480_turbo » Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:37 pm

Today my water pump for the turbo was making an awful noise. Is it on the way out ??
My MOT is due at the end of the month, should i replace it then when i am getting it ready for it??

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:14 pm

If you don't mind losing all the skin off your hands!

It wont fail the mot on a noisy water pump, but if your on a mission on your car anyway then you might as well.

Invest in a set of ratchet spanners, 11mm in particular, and make sure the pulley is on the new pump before you put it in the car. There is not much room, and you can't see half of the bolts, some of which are set in recesses requiring crank ended spanners. It took me all evening to do it on my grandads 440, without ratchet spanners I had to insert spanner, turn an eigth of a turn, remove spanner (no room) reinsert spanner facing other way, turn another nth of a turn, remove spanner etc.

good thing is a new water pump is not expensive :D
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

David Thornber
Started learning about 480

Post by David Thornber » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:29 am

It depends wich water pump you mean, the turbo is fitted with 2 of them, the main engine driven one, and an auxillary electric one which comes on for a while after turning the engine off.

I changed the electric one on mine recently, bit of a sod to get at, remove airbox, and you will find it under powersteering pump. If it is this one you mean, you'll hear it whine for about 10 minutes after turning car off.

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:44 pm

maybe some clogged dirt, or a piece of plastic got into it. That a possibility too. I had it on an other car as an inner part of the expansion tank got in the system.

but taking it out was as much work as putting in a new pump, so....

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

doug_480_turbo
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by doug_480_turbo » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:46 pm

yeah its the electric pump thats making the noise, i will investgate this week at work. Got to sort the switch for my headlight first, it popped out on the drive back from my mums house to day and it would not stay in. All i had was side lights :( and it was really dark!!

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:51 pm

oh, the aux pump....
Well mine made a hell of noise the first weeks as I bought the car. seen on the brake discs, (packed in with rust) the car has been standing maybe for years. after a while the noise was away. I think it was a dirt cluster

luck
jpf

PS: best is to remove and open it. look if it is sealed well.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:42 pm

oh, auxillary pump, thats a piece off piss to change. at least on an ES.
They do whirr a bit anyway.
My old car had had it disconnected cause it leaked, but I changed it once I got it.
The 87 ES I raced never had one at all.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto