Electrical Engine Heater

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

VOLVO480S
Started learning about 480

Electrical Engine Heater

Post by VOLVO480S » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:32 pm

Who has considered installing an engine heater in his/her car, or has already done so? Most of the time I'm here in the Netherlands, but once or twice a year I go to Sweden.

Who can advise me --> should I buy one, or is it superfluous (overbodig)?

Thanks in advance.
Robert

480-Pelle

Post by 480-Pelle » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:02 pm

As I live in cold northern Sweden I have both an electrical and a petrol-powered heater. :D

The electrical one is for plugging into the wall and the petrol-driven one is powered by the battery, using the cars own fuel.
I control it via a little panel hidden in the armrest.

I just love the petrol-heater. So easy just to start it and 30 mins later the car is warm and coolant fluid is at 65 degrees celsius. Great.

I could never do without a heater but then again, I live in northern Sweden. We CAN have down to -40 in the winter, although about -20 is more common.
A heater also reduces the wear on the engine when it's cold weather and it also reduces the hazardous subjects in the exhausts.

If you feel you need one, get one. Simple as that. :wink:

//Pelle

bud turbonator
480 Newbie

Post by bud turbonator » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:00 pm

i want one every time i have to clear the windows off ice :lol:
it ain't got the power, if it ain't a turbo

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:08 pm

Hmm,

i like the cold, clear winter wheather. Aldough (I am dutch) I never have seen more than -22 Celsius., exxept in Canada.

If I was you robbert, I would not spend to much money on this, just for being once in a while in Sweden. I would park warm there, or at the max get a 220 volt coolant warmer.(what wall plugs do they use the german/dutch/french type, or the us one ?)

Petrol warmers should be the best, but then again, for the little time u are there .... ?

Ps: how do you drive to sweden, I heard there is a bridge now... how much toll does it take ? how are the roads, and the traffic ? I want to drive there my selves once. To honour my volvo and drive her to the polar circle. :angel:

for the electrical heater: I am sure they are mentioned in the parts catalogue downloadable here...(via dragon's site) surprize your volvo dealer with the correct parts number

luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

VOLVO480S

Post by VOLVO480S » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:13 pm

Hi there thanks for your reply,

I take the bridge sometimes, it's a nice for a change compared to the stena line... but do remember that it doesn't matter where you go, the prices are equal compared to anything (eat+sleep+fuel |equals| going by boat)...

If you drive to Kiel you can take the boat to Goteborg, day or night. Or you can drive to Putgarden go over by ferry (47 euro) to Denmark and then drive to Copenhagen to take the bridge. Bridge costs 28 euro but then you're only in Malmo.

Consider that Sweden is very big, and Holland is tiny. --> you get used to the distances after a day, and driving is very comfortable. Though 90/110 km is the speedlimit on the motorway I never wanted to go much faster.

If you'ld like to go to the polar circle, bear in mind that the journey takes a while, and a cruise control is almost a neccesity to have!

Good luck and enjoy beautiful Sweden (Holland is nice too by the way!)

dabac

Re: Electrical Engine Heater

Post by dabac » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:58 pm

VOLVO480S wrote:Who has considered installing an engine heater in his/her car, or has already done so?... should I buy one, or is it superfluous
I wouldn't buy one only for vacation trips, but a warm engine is always a nice thing. It you have electrical power available where you usually park you might consider it for that reason.

The downside is that the electrical engine heater that goes into the block can be a real pain to install. It sits on the rear facing side of the engine quite far down. In my case the coolant channel plug didn't come out peacefully and had to be sawed out. The whole assembly took about 8 hours to complete. If it had been a turbo it would have been even harder. Finding a way into the car for the space heater outlet was a bit tricky too. I ended up going over to the driver side of the car to find a suitable hole for the cable and then back behind the center console to put the outlet in its right place.