Rev hanging issue!

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

AdamG
480 Newbie

Rev hanging issue!

Post by AdamG » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:43 pm

Hi guys and girls,

I’m currently having probably the most horrendous driving experience I could imagine with my 480. As of right now I have; no speedometer, no info centre (no fuel gauge), no working horn, missing washer fluid nozzle, and many more issues. So I’ve decided to make this post in the forum in search of some help/advice!

With regards to the Speedo issue, my car hasn’t driven the same since I started experiencing this problem. The car is much slower than before, and has an infuriating ‘Rev hanging’ issue, where the engine will continue to be at high revs and come down much slower than before. When having to shift up the gears slightly quicker, I’m finding myself coming into gears at a higher Rev than required, and thus destroying my clutch in the process. Since the issue first appeared, I’ve started to notice the first to third gears are beginning to whine when driving, and my clutch is now none existent.

I tried to fix the Speedo, but when attempting to take the cluster apart, the prongs for the info centre where soldered down by someone previously, and when attempting to work on the main board, I must have pulled or damaged those elements, and now my info centre doesn’t work either!

To give some context, whether it’s relevant or not, the car recently had a new starter motor, and in the process the undertray was not refitted. And on another note, the Speedo works and the Rev issues completely vanish when the car is turning LEFT. Not a clue! :roll:

I’m not very knowledgeable on cars. I frequently check and replenish coolant when needed, and check the oil level/quality relatively often. I just don’t have the time or money to keep shelling out on the car and getting all of the most irritating issues in return.

Is there any advice that anyone is able to give me? Has anyone else experienced the issue with both the Speedo and Rev problem together (they only ever happen together and never separately)?

The car is a 1995 2.0 Celebration. Though it breaks my heart, I am considering selling the car on these grounds, as I lack; the tools, the money and the experience to make it better. What would something like this be worth? There’s the obvious rust, leaky spots into the front footwells, and a damaged n/s front wing.

Thank you in advance if you got this far, lol!

Adam

triumphtoledo
Started learning about 480

Re: Rev hanging issue!

Post by triumphtoledo » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:32 pm

The fuel injection on the 2.0 takes a signal from the speedometer to sense vehicle speed to cut fuel when the throttle is released. My 480 also experiences hanging revs when the speedometer decides to stop working

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:51 am

triumphtoledo wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:32 pm
The fuel injection on the 2.0 takes a signal from the speedometer to sense vehicle speed to cut fuel when the throttle is released. My 480 also experiences hanging revs when the speedometer decides to stop working
Not sure that is true
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

AdamG
480 Newbie

Post by AdamG » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:28 pm

Very perplexing situation I have here it seems 🥲

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:58 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:51 am
triumphtoledo wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:32 pm

Not sure that is true
Yes, it is; certainly if getting the speed signal to the speedo is being interrupted eg by loose plug connection or bad pcb solder, I've always experienced a really erratic settle to idle as you slow to a stop. Cured once the signal connection is repaired.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!