Turning over no start 480 turbo

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Gundaba
480 Newbie

Turning over no start 480 turbo

Post by Gundaba » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:06 pm

Relatively new 480 1.7 Turbo 1994 owner here having some issues starting the car up. After driving fine for about a week the issues started up over the last 5 or so days. On turning the ignition the vehicle seems to be turning over fine but the car will not start. I managed to get it to start on the first two occasions I was having issues started by charging the battery up from 12.3 to 14 volts the first time and adding a gallon of fuel to the tank the second. Though neither of these work now. After getting the car started each time it has been fine stopping and starting for about a day but by the following day the car will have stopped working again.
When driving before this I did have juddering from the engine on occasion paired with the loss of power when I was on the accelerator but coming off again or pumping the accelerator seemed to fix this. I don't know if this is related to my current starting issues but I believe this was because the car was sitting for a while before my use and have added fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank to try and sort this. Overall I'm guessing the issue is either with the electrical ignition/ sparks or fuel systems but I'm having difficulties identifying the exact problem.

If anyone has any ideas or advice for what's going wrong it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

edit: Also you can smell petrol from the exhaust after cranking so the fuel does seem to be coming into the system just not igniting

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Turning over no start 480 turbo

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:52 pm

Ignition components are cheap and simple to replace. I'd go whole hog and do leads, cap, rotor and plugs as a starting point.

Gundaba
480 Newbie

Post by Gundaba » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:58 am

Thanks for the reply jifflemon, I have got the parts and going to look at fitting them. I have since had the car start immediately and have a hunch that the starting issues are weather dependent and that grounding of the spark is occuring when its too wet or humid.

Baxter
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Baxter » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:34 pm

I would suggest the same than jifflemon.
Mine had the distri cap broken running on three cylinders.

I check if I have spark with an spare spark plug conected to one of the wires coming from the distributor and the earth connecting a jumper wire to clean metal body.

more info:viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36612
Hector.