Oil leak from exhaust manifold bolts?

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Sisa
480 Newbie

Oil leak from exhaust manifold bolts?

Post by Sisa » Wed May 26, 2021 8:44 pm

New to the forum and haven't found a thread that would be talking about this. i have a 1995 460 turbo with B18FT engine and noticed a slight leak from the rear side of the engine. One on the timing belt side with the furthest bolt of the exhaust manifold and the other from the other side of the engine. what are the common oil leaks there and are there any oil channels behind the thread of the manifold? planning to remove the intake and both manifolds on one of the weekends asking just to prepare myself a bit and to know what to look for.

Turbo itself seems to be dry, so does the valve cover gasket. Car runs normally otherwise. The leaks are apparent on short rides, after long ones (30+km) the ground is usually dry. Also the crankase breather valve is obsolete from my inspection, planning to do the audi part mod alongside the leak repair.

Thanks in advance hoping a 460 question doesn't make anyone angry but it is a brother of 480 nevertheless :D

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Oil leak from exhaust manifold bolts?

Post by jifflemon » Wed May 26, 2021 8:52 pm

Don’t worry about it being a 460. The only time we get upset is when it’s been rehomed into a Renault. :rofl:

I’m not aware of any common leaks from around the manifold; my first thought when I read oil leaks was the return pipe, but that’s nowhere near the edges. Wonder if oil is running along the manifold and collecting at the ends?

Sisa
480 Newbie

Post by Sisa » Thu May 27, 2021 1:31 pm

That wont happen :D maybe a healthier chassis bothing else.

With my luck (every car i owned had sone kind of oil leak) its maybe also the return pipe so will check that one aswell thanks :)

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu May 27, 2021 1:35 pm

Welcome to the forum and there's general 400 love around these parts. You have a very rare automobile!

From someone who has just changed all their B18FT manifold studs; none of these studs tap into the oil jacket.

There are some bolts on this engine that need sealant as they are open threaded holes, but these aren't in your area (front crank seal cover).

If you say the cam cover gasket is ok, then again, there's not much else up top apart from either ends of the cam itself.

The normal oil leak culprits down the back just aren't high enough. The turbo oil pressure line corrodes real bad and can rupture where it is secured to the exhaust manifold. But, if this perforates, you'll know about it pretty sharpish, if not start a fire :shock:

The oil pump drive has a big plastic bung, these leak too, but it's all lower engine stuff.

Without a physical examination it's very hard to say.

Removing the manifolds is not for the faint hearted. The fixings are usually highly corroded and the turbo has to be removed requiring work from above and below. I found the manifold gasket quite hard to obtain (the B18FT has a unique metallic design)... think mine came from Spain in the end. For me, its an "only if have to job", rather than doing it just for checking.

Normally, with the mileage these engines have done now, they are one big ball of gunk and extremely difficult to pin-point oil leaks. It's a messy job, but if you haven't already, start with a full degrease, paraffin, TFR, brushes and then finish with a brake cleaner washdown. Monitor from that point forwards at regular mileage intervals. Hopefully then you can be more certain where its coming from.

Sadly that's the best advice I can give, sorry.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Sisa
480 Newbie

Post by Sisa » Thu May 27, 2021 5:58 pm

That's why i want to keep it running until i finish my studies and focus on rebuilding it. What worries me is that the leak became worse after i bought it (previously it has done 5000km in the span of 2 years) now i drive it almost daily.

I'm trying to avoid just that, though the all the gaskets seem to be available from autodoc, will probalby just remove the intake it should give me a clear view of the backside quite well. also got some friend with a borescope so maybe it will be easier to pinpoint. looking at camshaft seals now and perhaps oil turbo return line.

If it were a n/a i wouldn't bother (didn't with my previous one anyways and that one leaked like 1l per 2000 km.) but since its a turbo don't want any problems.

Thanks for the suggestions and input. will post a report when i find the location of the leak