Coil pack question... car doesn't start

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

danzuc76
480 Newbie

Coil pack question... car doesn't start

Post by danzuc76 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi all, hope someone can help me. I have a 1991 turbo that I acquires last month that had been laid up for years on a driveway under a tree. The owner finally gave in and let me have the car. I've been slowly working to recommision it but can't get it to fire up. After discovering missing relays by the fuse box I replaced them and got a satisfying click from the ignition relay only to find I still have no spark (or fuel). I multimetered the cylinder coil and have no power so started hunting for a replacement one and electric pack that sits on the bulkhead but can't find one. I read on the forum that a Saab variant will fit but not sure if that applies to my model and online I can only find the small rectangular coil unit. My question is will the rectangular one work as an upgrade or do I need to buy like for like? Funds are tight as got a baby due any day but really want to get the Volvo running. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated and if anyone has the original coil pack even better.

I intend to post a restoration thread when time permits and some progress has been achieved. For now I've taken lots of photos and started cleaning bits up. And just to add there are lots of things currently not working including dash, lighting and probably most of the electrics although things like the clock and door lock light seem to power fine. I have a feeling I will be making lots of question posts so fingers crossed it's all fixable as I intend to keep this car for life.

Dan

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: Coil pack question... car doesn't start

Post by Robou » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:51 pm

No power on the ignition coil has for the time being nothing to do with the coil nor the electronic pack. The coil is powered after ignition on and the pack switches the other connection to ground and releases when a spark is due.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

danzuc76
480 Newbie

Post by danzuc76 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi Robou. Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear as I did suspect it could trace further back than the coil as the car has clean new looking plugs and air filter. The previous owner said he had started it about a year ago but as I found a mouse nest where the battery should be I have some doubt. Relays under the bonnet and fuse box fuses had signs of corrosion which I have attacked with contact cleaner. I have also given it some fresh fuel, checked the engine and start with jump leads attached to keep the voltage up.

Where would you suggest I investigate next? I've read a little about the crank shaft sensor causing starting problems as well. I don't suspect the 2 ignition relays as I studied the threads on that topic and confident they are the correct configuration type A. I had hoped that would get me power to the engine. I do worry there could be wiring corrosion issues ahead.

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Robou » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:58 pm

I would say for a starts study some diagrams and get power to the coil, the fuel pump etcetera. It is difficult to advice given the circumstances you describe. Think of a logical scheme and take care of one problem at a time.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

danzuc76
480 Newbie

Post by danzuc76 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks for the advice. I finally had some time to do some work in it today in the light for a change. As the engine bay was covered in dirt and spiders I decided to get the jet wash on it and clean everything up so I can see what I'm working with. I've removed and cleaned the earth strap and contact cleaned all visible plug connectors. Things don't look as bad as first suspected and I will get studying those diagrams next. I will create a fresh post if there are any further problems I can't figure but for now got plenty of work ahead. Thanks.