Seized engine

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ospriet
480 Newbie

Seized engine

Post by ospriet » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi everybody!

Long story short, I've been a complete fool and as a result I have a seized, oil-free engine. I apologise if any of these topics have come up before, but I have a couple of questions before we attempt any repairs. Ideally I'd like to repair the damage without replacing the engine.

Is it possible to remove the sump in-situ?

Is the crank in any way strengthened?

I know my shell bearings are gone because you can't not hear that kind of thing, I guess the main bearing will be badgered too, but before I go hunting for a new engine I'd like to make an attempt to save this one. It's a 2l in a 480GT. Genuinely devastated because It's just had new rear arches and a partial sill rebuild, is for the first time since I've owned it totally rust free, and I've forgotten to put oil in it to drive it home... Didn't go very far and pulled over very quickly when it became apparent the engine was close to seizing. At first the oil temperature was through the roof and it wouldn't turn at all, but it starts and idles now. I also had to reverse it off the truck and into a garage, so it's not completely dead.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Seized engine

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:46 pm

if engine still turns then not completely 'goosed'

i assume you have filled it with oil before it will idle!!!

I reckon the sump can be wriggled free, you also need to remove the gearbox to sump reinforcing tubes etc standby to get a shower with finest engine oil (and debris :-( )

once sump is off you can have a squint at teh main bearings , but in some ways if it idles and doesn't sound like a bag of nails when at idle or under load you 'might' be OK,

cam-shaft bearings and pistons etc could also be shot :-(
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

ospriet
480 Newbie

Re: Seized engine

Post by ospriet » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:54 pm

Thanks, appreciate it. I've sulked for a few days, then been sensible and bought a newer, better, and most importantly working engine :lol: