fuel filter corroded to pipes

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

gentlegiant
480 Newbie

fuel filter corroded to pipes

Post by gentlegiant » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:39 am

The last few times I've taken my 480 celebration in for service the mechanic has declined to attempt to change the fuel filter as it's apparently corroded to the pipes that feed it... does anyone know whether the pipes are still available to resolve this..? Any advice appreciated..

Ade
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: fuel filter corroded to pipes

Post by Ade » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:49 pm

I think getting hold of the actual pipes may be almost impossible however it is possible to have such pipes made up or make something with fuel fittings from another vehicle as long as they are the same thread (which is not entirely implausible, there's not that many different threads used for fuel fittings) or source the components and make a new line yourself, if you have the new fuel filter and can identify the threads (I'd take a guess at M14x1.5, this is common for fuel fittings and features on the rail on the 480, I know this because the car I'm resurrecting at the moment had it's fittings unceremoniously chopped off for a renault conversion and I found a fuel line at work that fits and it's M14x1.5) then you have something to work with. Fuel fittings and pipe are easily available, I've just had a quick google and there's no end of suppliers, as I said, you just need to know what threads you're working with. I am 99% sure that the fittings at the pump are also M14x1.5 so if you wanted to make a whole new set of fuel lines you would need 3x M14x1.5 fittings (2 at the pump and one at the rail) and then whatever is at either end of the fuel filter, chances are it might well be the same but don't hold me to that because I don't know for certain.

Hope this helps
O.C. 480 D.

Ade

Post by Ade » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:23 pm

just thought of an easy and cheap/free source of fuel fittings....... how about the high pressure injector lines from a scrap diesel. take your filter with you to a scrapyard, take off diesel pipes from pumps/injectors (nice and easy to get at on most) unitl you find a match then saw the pipe, slide into some rubber petrol pipe, jubilee/crimp it (crimp type x2 is best for this type of bodge although our cars run a farily modest fuel pressure so don't worry too much) and either replace your whole lines or cut them at the filter fittings and attach them to your new rubber/diesel fitting lines. Job done :D

I cannot say for certain that the threads on the fuel filter will match diesel pipes but given that there are not that many threads used for fuel fittings, I reckon you're in with a chance. This is an option I'd certianly have a look at anyway, I mean, talk about cheap and easy! Oh yeah, FFS don't leave any swarf after you saw the pipe, make sure it's deburred properly or your injectors may not thank you :?

#EDIT#

30 secs googling just informed me that bosch diesel injector fittings are also M14x1.5 :D

If the filter is the same as the other fittings on the car then there is mileage in nicking high pressure diesel pipes and chopping them into rubber petrol hose to make a cheap easy new fitting, either to splice into existing lines or renew throughout. Can't emphasise enough to make sure any sawn edges are PROPERLY deburred!!!!! You do not want swarf floating about in the fuel system!
O.C. 480 D.

gentlegiant
480 Newbie

Post by gentlegiant » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:15 am

Thanks Ade - it's good to have an option... the last couple of garages have effectively refused to touch it so I'm thinking there's no choice but to have a crack at it as you suggest. That kind of mechanics wizardry is currently beyond me, but I've a fried who enjoys dismantling land rovers who may be willing to guide me through it... Thanks again :)

Ade

Post by Ade » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:50 pm

No probs, happy to help. Your land rover buddy will certainly be familiar with diesel fittings :lol:
O.C. 480 D.