Injectors overhaul

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Injectors overhaul

Post by Martin Mc » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Reading around various threads and the dreaded Haynes book of despair, it sounds like stripping down and checking the fuel injection system and associated wiring should be a relatively straightforward job. However, standing at the front of the car, looking into the engine bay, it doesn't look to me as if the fuel systems are accessible at all.

So, I was wondering if anyone had tackled this aspect of the engine, and if there were any tips for getting started in checking injectors and wiring.

I'm currently at Catch 22 with the car - it runs roughly and appears to be misfiring, with sooty exhaust even when warm. I've replaced plugs, HT leads, distributor cap and rotor, all without any change to the rough running. I can't put it in for MOT until it runs somewhat better, as it will just fail, so I want to do as much as possible myself to try and cure the problem before resorting to garage intervention.

Thanks in anticipation :)

Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

ChrisDK
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Injectors overhaul

Post by ChrisDK » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Not sure it's any help, I had a similar problem and the cure was a new MAF (the air flow sensor) and a new air tight rubber hose (i'm unsure of the technical term), the one that connects the air filter to the throttle body.

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Re: Injectors overhaul

Post by Martin Mc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:22 pm

Cheers Chris for your insights - it looks like my engine is a B18FP unit, which (luckily?) doesn't have a MAF, EGR or other complex gubbins attached:)

Had the air pressure sensor off this afternoon, and noticed an immediate difference to the running of the car. On starting, prior to disconnecting, the same (usual) lumpiness and rich running was evident, but as soon as the air pressure sensor was disconnected, the idle became smooth and regular and the misfire disappeared. Connecting the sensor back up again caused the engine to stall.

Is there any way to test the air pressure sensor to assess whether it is ok or failed? If so, what am I looking out for?

Cheers!

Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)