Crankshaft gear - no longer available

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

heavend
Knows where Volvo is from

Crankshaft gear - no longer available

Post by heavend » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:39 am

I was replacing a cambelt and oil seals the other day. It's a job that involves pulling off the crankshaft gear off. Normally this isn't too hard, but this one posed a problem - it cracked!
Volvo no longer carry this part. There is a Renault part number 7700100776 - which is the gear from a 1.9DCI RENAULT CLIO II, MEGANE, SCENIC or LAGUNA, available readily on eBay. It will need machining to reduce it's height and a new keyway cut before it will go onto the Volvo. It's not a big job and I way preferred this to getting one from a wreckers...
Does anyone else know of these gears cracking? Is this why there's no original gears left?

POE
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Re: Crankshaft gear - no longer available

Post by POE » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:58 am

I came across this problem as changing oil seal and was extremely tight so I left it alone 'so maybe its just the tight fit that poses the problem and seizes in place due to age
1989 480 turbo ,saffron pearl, half leather with richmod and full custom bodykit