rear crank oil seal

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

POE
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

rear crank oil seal

Post by POE » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi 'replaced leaking rear crank oil seal a while ago and is still leaking and possibly worse than before 'is their a correct depth to seat the seal as I just pressed it till I would go no more 'car hasn't been on the road since being replaced the last time as have quite a bit of work to do ' also I use semi synthetic oil and could this be a problem 'started taking car apart to access seal to see what problem is and be helpful with some input 'thanks
1989 480 turbo ,saffron pearl, half leather with richmod and full custom bodykit

heavend
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: rear crank oil seal

Post by heavend » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:25 am

I'm guessing you mean the crankshaft seal on the clutch end?
A little bit of care needs to be used when fitting a seal because the lip can fold under in spots, ruining the seal and causing a leak.
Also, avoid fitting a new seal into the same depth as the old seal as a shallow grove can wear in the shaft. Fit a little short or a little deeper to have the seal seat on a 'fresh' section of the shaft.

POE

Post by POE » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Thanks for reply ' yes flywheel side and I'm hoping it has flipped on the crank so easy fix and the semi synthetic wont have helped with the leak either and hopefully lesson learnt 'had a similar problem with camshaft seal a few years ago
1989 480 turbo ,saffron pearl, half leather with richmod and full custom bodykit

POE

Post by POE » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Removed gearbox and flywheel yesterday to access oil seal and found out the seal was to far into crankcase hopefully causing the leak 'about a cm too far :? Seal on order so hopefully after replacing to correct depth it will stop leaking oh and change the oil to something a little less thinner

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Yeah, from experience these engines don't really like thin oils.

Very old design now ;)
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!