Loosing coolant time and time again

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

gsa60
Started learning about 480

Loosing coolant time and time again

Post by gsa60 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi Guys.

I'm having coolant problems which I can't figure out. The car is a 91 turbo.

Some time ago I was loosing coolant (around 1 litter a week). The problem was tracked as beeing one of the pipes for the auxiliar water pump and the lower radiator hose. After the fix it hold for about one or two months.
Then, the top hose was leaking bad near the thermostat. Fixed .

Two weeks ago while on a trip I had to pull hover as the engine started to overheat. I had a look and it seemed that coolant was squirting from the engine block itself near the thermostat and the metal Tee pipe that is located behind the engine that has a bleeding screew. However it was to dark and I could not see for sure. So I limped home (around 80 miles).
The next morning, I found out the the rubber pipe that attaches to the tee pipe came out almost completely. I've re attached with a new ring around it on the last Saturday and no coolant was lost since yesterday (I checked every day) so I thought "problem solved" (see the attached pic ).

NO!!! Today the car started overheating on the way to work. I checked it just now. And It's squirting from the engine block again after all. The place where it's squirting has a hole in it but it seems so perfect it must have been there all the time. However I Can't really see why it's leaking now due to where it is. Does anyone now what it is (on the pic)? Why is water squirting from there?

More important: Why does it seem that every pipe is bursting? Is pressure building up? what could cause it? Radiator Cap? stucked close thermostat?

Any Ideas? This last year the car has been a real pain :badmood: .
Cheers