Ticking noise from engine

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Swanny
Started learning about 480

Ticking noise from engine

Post by Swanny » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi all, I'm new to 480 ownership and am thoroughly enjoying the challenges it throws at me.

I've had my G-reg Turbo for 6 months and I've had endless questions to ask the forum but I persevered and found most of the answers in old posts. However, I noticed a ticking sound from the engine when I rev in or out of gear that has been there since I bought the car. It sounds like it's in time with cylinders firing so I'm guessing it could be valves. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so, how can I fix it? I can post a video if that would help.

Also, while I'm at it, I know this is very broad question, but are there any basic things I should be looking at/doing for good measure? I've replaced distributor, rotor, plugs and have HT leads on way. I've had a lumpy idle and stuttering when I dip clutch when braking and revs drop off to around 4/500 RPM. I've cleaned out the ICV but didn't have much effect.

Any general tips or pointers would be appreciated. I've never got to involved with engines before but I really want to understand this car and keep it in good shape since it's got such character and is so rare.

Thanks,

Swanny.
480 Turbo S/R 'Matilda' - '89 red - Norfolk

gsa60

Re: Ticking noise from engine

Post by gsa60 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi Swanny,

I'm not sure about the tiking sound.
As for your second issue, I don't relay understand what you meant for " when I dip clutch when braking " ( English's not my mother language).
Do you mean that the revs stay at around 400~500 RPM until you press the gas pedal?
If so, I think I had a similar prob.: Mine, when cold, stayed at around 200~250 RPM. I found out to be the diaphragm valve that is just before the icv.
hope it helps
Cheers

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi gsa. Thanks for the reply. I mean I noticed the low rev problem when I was braking and then I pressed the clutch pedal. The revs dropped as you'd expect but then they dropped so low the engine sounds like it is about to stall, but this only happens for half a second or so. I had a play with it last week and the same thing happens when I rev the engine in neutral and then pull my foot off the gas, again the revs drop to low. I'll have a look at that diaphragm valve when I get a chance.
480 Turbo S/R 'Matilda' - '89 red - Norfolk

gsa60

Post by gsa60 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Other thing that comes to mind is trying to check if the idle is adjusted. You can adjust it by:
with the engine running and warmed up and AC turned off. You should in fact have every thing you can switched off as to not cause any load.
in the front of the ICV there are two wires that should be unconnected. Connect them, this will close the ICV and the revs should drop to around 700rmp if not try adjusting the brass screw on the top face throttle body (can have a blue protective cap). This will open/close the bypass pipe inside the throttle body. When you are happy, disconnect the wires; the engine speed should rise to around 800rpm. It's a simple job just remember that the slot in the brass screw is fragile.

On thing to notice: for instance, on mine because the diaphragm valve was closed, when I connected the two ICV wires, there was no effect.

Hope it helps.

EDIT:
Forgot it: you can find this info in the following doc:
http://volvo.ic.cz/volvo400_idle/adjusting_idle.pdf (last page is what I'm talking about)

Flying Dutchman
480 Newbie

Post by Flying Dutchman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:31 pm

Have got exactly the same rev dropping issue on my -90 turbo. Also jumpy idle. Especially when starting it up again with warm engine, Checked/cleaned/changed everyting I can think of. Getting pretty sure its an unfixable issue. Perhaps these engines always has been this way since new?