Strange plastic tray filling with oil...

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Strange plastic tray filling with oil...

Post by timrosser » Fri May 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Noitced a few spots of oil on the drive the other week and dragged myself under the Celeb to see if I could spot anything, I have to admit I have no idea where the oil plug is on my car but I did find a smalish strange tray thing that sits under the engine and collects oil. Does the oil plug live under the tray, and if so any tips on how to get it off to tighten the plug?

(Other syptoms, wynns stop leak hasnt stopped the leak, and the oil level on the dipsitck is healthy, so obviously not loosing much fluid. Oil spots definatly coming from under the engine rather than say break fluids etc :-) )

Tim

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Strange plastic tray filling with oil...

Post by doingitsideways » Fri May 09, 2014 9:05 pm

The big tray under the engine is exactly that... A big tray under the engine!

There to protect the engine etc from the elements, stones, wildlife that carelessly wander into your path...

There is a hole in the tray under the sump to drain the oil through the plug, it'll have an 8mm (I think) square hole in it.

The most common causes of oil down there I find to be the sealing crush washer knackered on the sump plug (usually easilly resolved by turning it over, unless it's been done before) as the oil gets blown backwards onto the tray as you drive. Or a weeping oil filler cap, or one of the crank ventilation hoses at the front (black canister to the right of the block as you look from the front)

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Fri May 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Steve, you are one cool man, thank you! :D

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Sat May 10, 2014 12:13 am

No worries Tim.

Thanks for the compliment! 8)
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!