B18F starting problem, stalling.

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Cesinek
480 Newbie

B18F starting problem, stalling.

Post by Cesinek » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:23 am

Hi there.
Please, excuse my cubersome English, I will try to describe my problem as good as possible.
I own a 1987 480ES, with B18F engine (1,7i, non turbo, 70 kW). I bought the car in may 2013, and it was running pretty well until now. There are some slight problems like high fuel consumption and a bit unsteady idle, but overall the car was working good.
Two days ago, I went to work for a night shift, parked the car and left. Yesterday morning, the car had problems starting. After a much longer canking, it started and a second later it stopped. I stated investigating (I am by no means an engineer, and my knowledge about engines is fairly basic). The symptoms are as follows.
When I start the engine, it dies instantly. Takes a long time to start as well.
When I disconnect the MAF sensor, car starts fine, idles around 1000rpms, pretty smooth. As soon as I touch the trottle, the car stalls instantly.
When I disconnect the MAF sensor, the coolant temp. sensor and the throttle position sensor, the car starts, and when the throttle is applied, it sometimes stalls, and sometimes revs up pretty "normal". Actually, I was able to get back home like this, feeling like a total idiot, as the car would stall every now and then. Generally, in first gear it got to revs normally, when shifting up, it sometimes went normally, sometimes it felt as if it lost power completely (engine still running at low revs, no reaction to gas). Shiftig back to fist sometimes helped, sometimes the engine just stopped after a while.

So, that is my story. Colud you point me in some direction? What to test, what to measure?
Will gladly provide any more information if needed.
Thanks a lot in advance for any helpful hints. I really need to get this thing working.
Volvo 480ES, 1987, B18F engine

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: B18F starting problem, stalling.

Post by doingitsideways » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:20 pm

Hmm...

My best bet would be the MAF.

I can't remember if they're adjustable on the N/As, like they are on the Turbos.

If there's a little screw next to the plug then it is.

There's a how-to on here somewhere on setting them with a multi-meter.

Obviously, I'd check plugs, HT leads, distributor cap, rotor arm etc. A poor ignition coil would cause stalling etc though, so maybe worth a look.

Does your car have the built in code reader on the left hand suspension turret? Any codes stored if so?

Again, there's a how-to on the code reader somewhere.

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:58 pm

1987 480 I doubt if it will have a diagnostic box , a bit too early for that. :cry:

Cesinek
480 Newbie

Post by Cesinek » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:08 pm

Glasgow Jim is right, my car is way too old to have diagnostic unit.

Distributor cap, HT leads, spark plugs, rotor arm - everything should be OK.
No idea how to test the coil, I don't have a spare one to switch them.
Guy who I bought the car from is sending me a box of spare parts, next week I should be able to try replacing MAF meter, throttle position sensor and even the ECU. I just hope I can solve the problem early. Later on, I am planning to put a new lambda sensor in. I hope it could reduce the immense fuel consumption.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:55 am

photo as promised.

GJ mod

Cesinek
480 Newbie

Post by Cesinek » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:27 pm

Just to make things clear - the above picture has nothing to do with my problem. It was a slight misunderstanding between me and Glasgowjim, who posted my picture in this topic, where it doesnt belong. :D
So, feel free to ignore the photo.