high-pitched squealing from Volvo 480

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

catwoman
480 Newbie

high-pitched squealing from Volvo 480

Post by catwoman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 am

Can anyone help?
I have a Volvo 480E 2 litre car 1983. It had a replacement engine some 7 years ago which, although it is marked VOLVO, I believe could be a Renault engine.

A while ago it began making a squealing noise, when on full lock, when lights are on or when using the heater (I have no A/C) - I have recently had the fan belt replaced (no change) so was then advised it was the alternator so had that replaced and, if anything the noise is worse.

I have now been advised that it could be the crankshaft pulley OR the water pump. I cannot afford to keep changing parts in the hope that it cures the problem. Can anyone advise me? Has anyone had the same problem?

Anne

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: high-pitched squealing from Volvo 480

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:34 pm

Do you mean 1993 ?

Are you anywhere near Glasgow ?

catwoman
480 Newbie

Post by catwoman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Sadly (in more ways than one), I am in France, so nowhere near Glasgow!

Inspite of the geographical distance, are you able to offer any advice/help?
I am one desperate woman!

Anne (catwoman)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Ok let begin a process of elimination and please excuse me if I am repeating steps you have already taken.

Ok....

" a squealing noise, when on full lock, when lights are on or when using the heater (I have no A/C)"

1 does this mean that with the engine on and the wheels pointing straightforward (as if to go in a straight line)with the lights down and the heater off there is no squealing noise/sound ?

I will be on and off the site tonight so if you can post up a response i should be able to get back to you quite quickly. In anticipation of potential answers...

With engine on and headlamps down and heater off there is no squealing then it is not your water pump or the other part you mentioned as these would give a squeal permanently . If the belts where slipping then it would be intermittent and not related to full lock etc..

need more info now to progress...

catwoman
480 Newbie

Post by catwoman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes, in general, the car runs well and silently, if there is no extra load energy-wise. However, it does "chirp/squeal" a little when changing gear. Does that help with the diagosis? By the way, my individual email is montduchef@hotmail.fr if it would be easier to reply directly.

Many thanks for taking time out to try to help.
Anne

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:05 pm

Anne read my first post in this thread as i have edited it.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Ok

can you identify the location of the squealing sound even approximately. Apologies I am assuming that english is your mother language am I correct?

catwoman
480 Newbie

Post by catwoman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Yes, my native language is English...............

The noise is definitely coming from the belt area to the left/below the alternator.

When the squealing starts I have to drive slowly until the engine appears to slip/kick back (feels like I have hit a small area of ice) and then the car is quiet and runs well until I am at a standstill at a junction, change gear or put on lights etc, go into reverse or on full lock.

Anne

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:32 pm

How is your clutch ?

The reason for asking about language is I would use a restricted vocabulary in my posts for a non engilish speaker to give the online translators a chance :rofl:

For me the next step would be to get a long screwdriver or length of metal and put one end to my ear and one end to various parts of the engine. Sound travels so much better and quicker allowing you to locate the source of the noise more accurately . Assuming the clutch is ok I would remove the front wheel at the alternator side of the car and then remove the plastic protecor plates and this would give me access to the part of the engine that the noise is coming from then very carefully I would use my screwdriver to listen to the various parts of the engine when it is squealing , if it is the water pump then you will detect this with this method quite quickly. You can also check for wheel rub on the car at full lock as there will be a "skid mark/ friction mark mark on the car body.

Oh dont rely on a jack alone put an axle stand under the car just in case and be careful especially if you have long hair !

catwoman
480 Newbie

Post by catwoman » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Thank you SO much for taking the time to try to help. I will try what you suggest. I think the mechanic who changed the alternator tried something like that, without removing the Wheel though. It was he who suggested it could be the crankshaft pulley...........

Thanks again and have a nice evening.
Anne

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:20 pm

worse case could be the idler pulley or the tensioner on the cambelt :-(

but that would be unaffected by full/part lock. :?

quick check is to remove the alternator belt and if noise goes away then belt/alternator. if still there then suspect idle/tensioner, they CAN be changed with engine in car, tricky but possible. mine packed up and I changed after a few weeks of the squealing, I should have changed it earlier :(

obviously can't be driven very far with no alternator but with a decent battery 10 - 15mins should be OK to try and eliminate or hopefully confirm the alternator, just don't run with the lights on or you will not get home :wink:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1