Cylinder Head Bolts

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Slash01
Knows where Volvo is from

Cylinder Head Bolts

Post by Slash01 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi all.
Recently brought Vera 1993(L) 1.7 N/A
She seems to be leaking Oil from the Head Gasket on the corner of the engine. (Pulley end, facing forwards)
I got the 3rd revised Haynes manual and it states that the Head bolts are not part of Volvo replacement procedure when changing a head gasket. But it advises checking for stretching.
My question is, if Volvo don't replace the bolts, then does that mean they aren't stretch bolts and don't need replacing. Or should I just change them anyway?
I'm wanting to fully service the Head, so lapping the valves, new stem seals and cam seals etc. As well as replace the Timing belt.
Another question is would the belt Tensioner need replacing on a car that's done 42,000m?
Cost is an issue so if I can do without changing the Head Bolts and Belt Tensioner then I'll be happier.

Also I've got a couple of electrical problems I'll mention here but will start another topic if required.
1st - Fuel gauge doesn't work properly. On Ignition the Gauge doesn't move from rest. But when the engine is running will slowly climb up.
Any Ideas on the fault, I've never come across this before. Also can I trust the fuel light wouldn't be affected, and should work as normal?
I should mention that Vera is a 480 S so no Info Centre, just a standard Fuel Gauge.
2nd - The passenger side window wont come down. Sometimes it does but will stop when it wants, but will always go up. Sounds like a loose connection to me.
3rd - There is a two position switch to the right of the heated seat buttons with what looks like a light symbol. I believe the switch is currently off but when I switch it nothing happens, at least I can't tell any difference. I've read somewhere that it's the driving light switch. If it is, what should happen when I switch it? And what could be the problem if it's not working?
There are always ample warnings and there are always subtle signs,
And you would have seen them coming but we gave you too much time.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Cylinder Head Bolts

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:38 pm

if it is an S then you wont have foglights .

However the switch you refer to is the long range running lights which only come on when the headslamps are on full ie not dipped and the switch is switched on.

the fuel guage is just a simple ammeter connected to a float which operates a lever connected to a variable resistor. It is possible that the float is a bit stiff ?

The window has a wire problem not electrical go to the how to section and scroll down there is a thread on how to remove a window regulator its not hard and you will instantly see the exact nature of your problem.

If you are relying on the Haynes book of lies HBOL then you are fooked :nuts: It would be unlikely that the bolts had stretched.

do a search otr browse through the forum it is time well spent. :lol:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 pm

oh open a thread in the elctrical section and you will get a better response.

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:21 am

On the fuel guage: I belive the fuel & temp guages tend to be a bit slow to move and not overly quantitative. The low fuel warning light is much more accurate. The guages are the same as the non-info 440/460, I had one of the former and even with a full tank it would take some time for the fuel guage to creep up towards the maximum.
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

Slash01

Post by Slash01 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I don't have front fogs, and after buying a new bulb for one of the rears, discovered that only one is wired up. :tomato:
For now the electrical problems can wait and I will post in another section for them.

The Problem is the Head gasket has started to go. I noticed the coolant level was low and the next day I caught a glimpse of White smoke from the back whilst revving at 2,000rpm. none at idle.
I'm not driving her, unless it's somewhere to get her fixed.
I've been looking around for a gasket set, I've decided to get some new bolts. That way I can compare the size to the old ones.
Head bolts are stretch bolts by design, therefore when replacing a head gasket the old bolts will have stretched under the previous tightening sequence and engine use and should be replaced. Or they could shear under another tightening sequence. Some engines don't use stretch bolts though, hence the question whether the Haynes manual is correct. Sorry mechanical training coming out there. I only use Haynes manual as a guide for what to do and what tools I will need. I use what knowledge I have for the rest.
Anyway I've been caught out by a couple of things though.
Firstly I thought my engine should be a B18F because of the catalyser but the engine plate reads B18EP, this then led to which timing belt to get as there is a 124 teeth and a 125 teeth. Anyone know the correct number of teeth it should be. Any way of finding out, or the part numbers for a FAI head gasket set or a Gates Timing belt.
I don't mind using other brands but these are my preferred choices.

Thanks for the help.

svenska axel
Started learning about 480

Post by svenska axel » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:29 pm

i found a cheap contitec belt, continenetal i think. its been fine. maybe worth doing the idle pulleys as well. the head bolts are stretch and if i remember have an angular tightening sequence, which wont give the correct clamping force when used again.cant remember what tooth. may say in the pdf's. i think volvo put what engine they had laying about at the time.
maybe worth using the propper volvo antifreeze its the propper for life stuff not like this modern good for two years and breaks down. my car 22 and gasket still fine.

Slash01

Post by Slash01 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info.
Yes I've seen quite a few continental belts, definitely more common than the Gates ones for the 480.
Still having trouble with the teeth count but it's out of my hands now.
Removed the splash guard, which didn't do my back any good and found that the diff oil seal is leaking as well as the sump gasket.
So basically every major gasket is leaking. The result of being left for 3 years and over filled with oil is what I put it down to.
Anyway she's off to a garage now as soon as I get some quotes.

svenska axel
Started learning about 480

Post by svenska axel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:46 pm

are you going to rename her "exxon valdez"?

Slash01

Post by Slash01 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Nice one, but my family have christened her the Gold-digger coz she's always after my money.