Fuel relay does not work

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Willem-Jan
480 Newbie

Fuel relay does not work

Post by Willem-Jan » Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 am

I'm sorry not to have introduced myself, but I couldn't find the topic for that.
Short introduction; I'm Willem-Jan from the Netherlands and I have owned 4 Volvo 480's. My first car was a red Turbo, after that a white Turbo as a donor for my R5 GTT project, a blue/grey ES Automatic and a grey metallic Turbo.

Recently I got the chance to get my first car back, the red Turbo. It has been sitting in a parking lot for 3 years, so it had some work.
I have welded in a big piece of the sill, replaced all brake lines, brakepads and discs and some other small parts. Now it's almost ready for the APK (Dutch MOT), but I can't get it running.

The fuel pump doesn't get power. This is what I found out so far:
- The fuel pump itself is working (tested it with directly 12 Vdc)
- The Main relay clicks when the ignition key is turned
- The Fuel pump relay doesn't click
- The fuel pump relay itself works (I have put the 85 of the relay directly to the ground with a piece of wire) and the the fuel pump works.
- Pin 17 of the computer does not make the connection to the ground as it is supposed to do when I turn the ignition key.
- I have switched computers, but this doesn't help (same numbers on the computers)
- Fuse 12 in the fusebox in the car is OK and so are the 2 fuses at the Main- and fuel pump relay

So now, I don't know where to look now. Does anyone have an idea?

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Fuel relay does not work

Post by glasgowjim » Fri May 04, 2012 2:15 pm

need to know year of manufacture .

Willem-Jan
480 Newbie

Post by Willem-Jan » Sat May 05, 2012 6:57 am

Year of manufacture is 1991.
And I would like to add to the story above that the engine was working when it parked 3 years ago.

V480TI
480 Expert

Post by V480TI » Sat May 05, 2012 9:49 am

Hi Willem Jan, maybe take a look on the dutch volvo 480 Forum.
I think I can help you because I only do repairs and maintenance on 480's.. no other cars.
My nickname there is the same as here.
Just pm me.
Regards,

Jeroen
Flamered GT-Turbo 09-1995, Yellow Koni's, Intrax springs,Palm Beach,rear speakers,middle arm rest,Roboumod,Vega's, CT 906 radio/cd with 850 R amplifier, Pioneer speakers allround.
Hausser front and rear bumper, Black Diamond sport clutch, lightened flywheel, flowed head.Audi TT recirc.Stainless Cat replacement, K&N airfilter,Magnecor KV85,NGK colder plugs.
Soon ; Audi/VW calippers, 280mm Renault Sport brake discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads.

New project : 1987 Silver 480 with B18E engine