one for all you turbo guys need advice on this...

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

one for all you turbo guys need advice on this...

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:29 pm

As the title suggests I need advice on this .....(especially as I have no interest in turbos until my son bought one) :lol:

now look closely at the 2 photos below , notice that one thing is connected to nothing ??? advice needed.

And here are some general shots of stuff that has been added what do you call them and what are they for ??

oh I know that the toad alarm / siren is there :rofl:

Melvin480
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: one for all you turbo guys need advice on this...

Post by Melvin480 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:31 pm

The plastic pipe piece on top of the oil seperator shouldn't be there. There should be a valve instead, which also had two pipes. On should be connected to the hose like in the picture. The other should be connected to the plugged opening in the manifold, underneath the hose from the idle valve.

Don't try to connect a hose between the plugged opening and the existing plastic pipe piece on the oil separator. I guess the plastic pipe piece has doesn't have any valve or restriction in it, so connecting it to the manifold would create a massive airleak and very very high idle. So, find a valve to place on top of the oil seperator and fix the hose to the manifold.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Any chance of a photograph of the turbo engine so that I can compare it with mine and know what I am looking for or at.

Melvin480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Melvin480 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Take a look here: http://www.volvo480forum.com/index.php/ ... l#msg60557

You are missing part nummer 1 and 2 in the picture:

Hose number 2 is connected to the inlet manifold underneath the hose from the idle valve.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:11 pm

Many thanks Melvin I will try and get out to the car and check it out fully now.
:D

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Robou » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:22 am

In addition to what is said above a little explanation may be helpful.
The idea is to suck dangerous fuel/oil vapors from the crankcase and have them burned in the engine.
The outlet which has no hose connected yet should go to the manifold alright, but with a non-return action.
Under pressure the connection to the manifold should be blocked and ventilation should occur through the other hose, connected to the turbo inlet.
The original non-return valve is a lousy peace of engineering, just some rubber. When it is broken the crankcase is pressurized and this will cause oil leaks all over.
This is why I advise in the manual which comes with my mod to replace it.
The item marked 1 in the drawing is a cover you are missing as well. I do not know whether it is necessary or not.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

iimomar
480 Newbie

Post by iimomar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Robou: these vapors are dangerous for the human and/or for the environment, but supressing this recirculating system is also bad for the engine/crankcase?
I supose that this system was designed for not allowing the vapors leak into the atmosphere, so it should be a necessity to allow them to go out from the crankcase, isn't it?

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Robou » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:06 pm

The vapors are dangerous inside the engine because they are combustible. That is why the crankcase is ventilated.
Outside the engine they become dangerous for the environment. That is why they should be treated.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91