burning oil smell and blue white smoke /smoking at idle

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

danielsperry89
480 Newbie

burning oil smell and blue white smoke /smoking at idle

Post by danielsperry89 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:26 pm

i have a 480 turbo. after a few minutes of running and the car iswarmed up, it will start to smoke at idle. when i come to a stop and sit for a second or two the smoke starts. i dont notice any smoking while under normal driving down the road, but as soon as i stop the smoke starts. i am thinking it may have something to do with a line going to the turbo? are there any oil lines going into the turbo? someone also told me the oil seperator may be clogged? but im not sure since it only smokes when the turbo is not running. any suggestions????

Derek
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: burning oil smell and blue white smoke /smoking at idle

Post by Derek » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:10 pm

when was the oil and filter last changed? mine was doing the same as yours (smocking at idle) and when i changed the oil and filter it stopped doing it. i put it down to the old oil being too thin when hot and getting past the oil seals in the turbo. probably the turbo is quite worn aswell 135,000 and still on the original and had a rich mod fitted when it had 90,000 on it:)

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by felyx » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:29 am

i agree with Derek ,cars can that fail emmissons on MOT can pass with just an oil change . also its worth taking out your in intercooler and cleaning it out by putting a pint of petrol in it and shaking it up and down. if you take of the pipe from the intercooler to the engine you will probally find oil in it . also make sure the crankcase breather is not blocked as this causes pressure in the engine and forces oil to go were is shouldnt . cleaning the intercooler ( its in front of the bonnet under the nose cone) is about 1.5 hours job , spray WD40 on everything you are going to want to release the day before . cleaning the crankcase breather can take 10 mins or 2 hours . (its the black barrel size of a small fist covered in black foam covered , midway up the engine front right as you look in the engine bay . ( please note if removing the bumber , DO NOT REMOVE BUMPER FROM BRACKETS !!! take the bumper and brackets off as one item complete , this will save you at least an hour with tough bolts that now dont need removing)

cheers hope that helps . no money required for this fix (maybe oil and filter GSF £22), just a heated garage LOL >
140mph for £175 just test the brakes

danielsperry89
480 Newbie

Post by danielsperry89 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:07 pm

thanks for your replies, i have rebuilt the engine because i melted a piston so everything is new apart from the turbo, so it will not be the oil and the inter cooler is clean of oil, any more info would be great

Derek
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Derek » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:47 am

if you have run the engin/turbo hard enough to melt pistons mybe the turbo has had it.

danielsperry89
480 Newbie

Post by danielsperry89 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 pm

i think i will buy a new turbo and see if that fixes it