Turbo problem -- fuel cut when accelerating

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

r5b18ft
Knows where Volvo is from

Turbo problem -- fuel cut when accelerating

Post by r5b18ft » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:57 pm

Hello there fellas,

I've enjoyed my car for some time with no problems but here we go again...

When I try to floor it down on a lower gear it accelerates up to 3000rpm and then starts to cut. Seems to be a fuel problem.

Car starts up normally and keeps idle very constant at 850 - 900 rpm. It also runs very smooth if I do not try to floor it down.

Parts that could be the culprit but have been recently changed with new items are fuel pump, temp. sensor and MAF sensor.

Any help and ideas are greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

David from Malta.

r5b18ft

Re: Turbo problem -- fuel cut when accelerating

Post by r5b18ft » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:10 pm

ohhh and I've tried resetting the ECU's too! at first I thought it could be something to do with overboosting (it shouldn't as I have a richmod) so I've left the battrey disconnected for a whole 2 days (I only use the car occasionally) but problem was still there :cry:

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Ignition coil, plugs and rotor arm are all new. Only been on the car for 4 months and as I said, I use the car very little.

iimomar
480 Newbie

Post by iimomar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:44 pm

I had a similar problem, in my case was related with the idle valve which never got fully closed. Try to run the car without the idle valve, closing the hoses or check if it gets fully closed...

I hope it can help you.

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:23 am

iimomar wrote:I had a similar problem, in my case was related with the idle valve which never got fully closed. Try to run the car without the idle valve, closing the hoses or check if it gets fully closed...

I hope it can help you.
I'll try that ! Thanks for your help..

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:23 am

I've tried unplugging the ICV (Idle Control Valve) but it did not make any difference (obviously apart from a very low and intermittent idle).

I've also tried two other ECU's, to rule out the possibility of one of them being faulty. Still same problem.

I've replaced all thin vacuum lines with new silicone ones. Still same problem.

I've tried running the car with no lambda sensor. Still same problem.

:wall:

Any ideas pleaseeeeee ???

thalenvisser480turbo
Started learning about 480

Post by thalenvisser480turbo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:59 pm

did you replace the fuel-filter?
VOLVO 480 TURBO ,1989 WHITE 199.MODERATOR @volvo480forum.com

pictures of my white love http://www.volvo480forum.com/index.php/topic,247.0.html

hagbard
480 Newbie

Post by hagbard » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Hello,

I've got the same problem. But my 480t engine starts delayed and then running normal in idle speed and sometimes cut off immediately. If I accelerate fast, the engine stumbles. I investigate the EZ210K.

Regards

hardy
Volvo 480 Turbo '93, Keskin KT4, 55mm Stainless-steel exhaust system

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:16 am

thalenvisser480turbo wrote:did you replace the fuel-filter?
The engine is installed in my Renault 5 so the fuel filter isn't the original size, I had to replace it with a slightly smaller one. I had replaced it just some time ago but maybe as its smaller it needs changing again, or could be its restricting the flow because of its dimensions.

I am going to try and fit an original one, but I still do not think that is the problem. I have removed it and checked it and it seems to be very clean (because it is serviceable, you can open it and look at the inside) and it used to run very well, so I don't think all of a sudden it just decided to restrict the fuel flow.

Anyway I'm going to change it to an original one. Thanks for the input :)

Keep them ideas flowing pleaseeeeeee

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:17 am

hagbard wrote:Hello,

I've got the same problem. But my 480t engine starts delayed and then running normal in idle speed and sometimes cut off immediately. If I accelerate fast, the engine stumbles. I investigate the EZ210K.

Regards

hardy

I've already tried replacing both ECU's. Still same problem.

hagbard
480 Newbie

Post by hagbard » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:08 pm

I can not investigate further due to lack of time. I give my volvo to a car repair shop. The EZ210K seems to be fine. They found that the distributor was oily and the contacts are burned. The turbo charger is not damaged. I am not shure about that statement, but I do let them repair the ignition parts including sparc plugs and replacing seals.
Stay tuned.

Hardy

r5b18ft

Post by r5b18ft » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:14 am

hagbard wrote:I can not investigate further due to lack of time. I give my volvo to a car repair shop. The EZ210K seems to be fine. They found that the distributor was oily and the contacts are burned. The turbo charger is not damaged. I am not shure about that statement, but I do let them repair the ignition parts including sparc plugs and replacing seals.
Stay tuned.

Hardy
I had already checked the distributor and everything seemed fine + replaced spark plugs with new iridium ones very recently .. my problem must be fuel related. Did not have any time to check further more since I've last posted on here as I am currently reading for a degree in mechanical engineering and bloody hell that's hard :wall:

hagbard
480 Newbie

Post by hagbard » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Problem was solved. Got my car back on last friday. The car repair shop replaced the oily distributor parts, a seal and the sparc plugs. They also checked all sensors wich are related to EZ210k, and checked the fuel pressure.

If you noticed a fuel cut, there must be a problem in conjunction with EZ210K. I think you already have checked all sensors? The fuel cut could be triggered from pressure sensor, rpm sensor, knock sensor...

Best regards

Hardy

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by felyx » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:37 am

fuel relays above shins drivers side . hardest thing to locate ever !!! and you have to contort yourself painfulls to get to them . thousands of 480's were scrapped for this . even volvo main agents could not locate this fault in some cases .

cheers
140mph for £175 just test the brakes

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:54 pm

felyx he is not running a 480 :lol: