Fuel pump will not start after engine swap

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Zoist
Knows where Volvo is from

Fuel pump will not start after engine swap

Post by Zoist » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi

after my little accident, I decided to swap engine, gearbox, and sub frame from another car.
The car could not start due to the fuel pump did not start, and we don´t know why, so we wanted to put in my car because we knew the electrical system worked.

But now the car won´t start, the fuel pump wont run, and the info center tells me to check the oil... I have never seen this before in my car, but the other car did exactly the same thing. obviously the problem is on the engine, but where???????? every connection has been made....

Is there anyone who can help?

the two cars are both from1987 with B18E 104 engines
Last edited by Zoist on Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Re: Fuel pump will not start after engine swap

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:29 pm

Right split the problem into 2 halves...

fuel pump there should be a separate relay under the dashboard for the fuel pump check that out first the relay might also have a separate fuse mounted on the relay carrier.

Zoist

Post by Zoist » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:22 am

the fuel pump worked fine before I made the swap, so I can´t see why it should´t do it now, and the other car had the same problem, so it has to be on the engine.

Can this occur if the fuel injectors is malfunctioning?

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:05 am

Zoist wrote

after my little accident, I desisted to swap engine, gearbox, and sub frame from another car.

the word desisted means that you did not swap the engine over in this context so I misunderstood what you were asking.

So you swopped over engine subframe wishbones and gearbox and connected up.

OIL swap over the oil level sensor from your original engine to the replacement engine . If the sensor is defective then that will give rise to the oil level signal.

remove injectors one by one and check if they spray fuel. You can check the fuel pump by removing the fuel line from end of injector rail wrap in a poly bag and switch on the fuel should flow. Let us know how you get on.

Zoist

Post by Zoist » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Hehe ups sorry my fault :bla:

okay, I will try that, have you seen that before?

Zoist

Post by Zoist » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:15 pm

and btw. where is the sensor placed?

I changed the sensor placed above the oil pump. it looked like a sensor for the oil pressure. It was placed behind the engine in the button left side. The wires was connected by to cable shoos and a large rubber cap.

I can´t seem to find a picture or a list over the different sensors and location anywhere.

Zoist

Post by Zoist » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 am

Oil level sensor has been changed now, so has the temperature sensor for the oil. All earth connections has been cleaned, and I have tested for sparks when I tried to start the engine, no spark!

So the problem so far is, no spark and the fuel pump don´t start.... The info center says OK after chaining the oil level sensor. I have tested all the fuses and they are all good. I have looked at the relays, and they seem to work.

Please help me! I just want to get it on the road again! :cryhard:

Zoist

Post by Zoist » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 pm

AND IT IS FIXED! :hopping:

after checking every wire according to the wire diagram from the Haynes book and measure every step and rewire some connections to double check the result.
I found that the + cables for the fuel pump was connected to earth....

When I removed the engine from the spare car, I took pictures of every connection i could find. and I connected it exactly as it was disconnected!
the previous owner had obviously made a mistake when trying to fix the car and connected it wrong! and so did I! :angry:

when connected the wire correct the fuel pump came alive!

I still did not have any spark though.....
after measuring the flywheel sensor, the two plugs to the ignition coil and what not. I tried to change the howl control unit.... and it worked!

but after the swap the fuel nipple is leaking!!!!!! so that has to be fixed

pleas help!
http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 11&t=33165

Thanks for all your advice and help in this matter!