Turbo oil feed pipe corroded?

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

spiderpie
480 Newbie

Turbo oil feed pipe corroded?

Post by spiderpie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:49 am

I think the oil pipe which feeds to the turbo has corroded. The car stinks of burning oil constantly and when I idle or switch off the engine there is smoke coming from the far back of the engine bay (especially embarrassing at traffic lights and petrol stations). I can only assume that this is because of oil dripping on the exhaust and it appears that the turbo feed is the culprit.

Does this sound like it makes sense to anybody with a better grasp of the 480T's mechanics, and if so is anybody able to source me a replacement part?

Thanks,
Will

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Turbo oil feed pipe corroded?

Post by felyx » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:23 pm

most oil feed pipes are corroded but that will not be your problem , check your crankcase breather ( black 2 inch cylinder cover in foam and plastic at the front of the engine ) also be carefull how you take the top off (it just jiggles off eventually .
take the pipe coming from the intercoller going to your throttle body and check for oil in there , ( if there is any in there its not good , but a little is liveable with .

what you really really need to do is to steam clean of the engine for about £10 to £15 at a car valeters , and then take it to garage independant garage , and get them to put it on a ramp to see if there any obvious signs of leak location . it could a number of things but with a sparkeling clean engine it will be relatively easyish to locate the leak . CHEERS Felyx
140mph for £175 just test the brakes

spiderpie
480 Newbie

Post by spiderpie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Felyx, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I've taken it to two different garages and both reckon it's the turbo oil feed which is leaking. It costs way too much to think about getting it directly from volvo so does anybody have a spare one that I could take off their hands? Otherwise is anybody aware of anywhere that supplies second hand parts?

Thanks,
Will

spiderpie
480 Newbie

Post by spiderpie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Anybody?

volviz
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by volviz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:05 am

ask GlasgowJim..maybe he has some....
can't the garage just make new pipe? or try some hydraulic shops.. they should have joints/braces, and equipment to copy feed line...

Don't drive your car under boost...or you will need new turbo also...
Image&ImageImage