High RPM in Idle, and more

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Zoist
Knows where Volvo is from

High RPM in Idle, and more

Post by Zoist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:07 am

Hi

I am still working on my 480 ES 1,7 from 1987 after 6 mounts to get it ready and on the road. I need to replase the hole breaking system from my donate car to the other one.

But that not the issue, When I stat up the car, the engine runs at 1600 RPM. the car computer dos not work and there is coming thick with smoke from the exhaust pipe... and it behaves strange when I hit the gas, it is almost going out but then it come up to speed, and that happens even if the engine is hot.

I think I need to say that it currently is missing one flip-flop headlight (they dos not work so I am changing them), no breaks at all, the AC dos not work for some reason, the air fan dos not work, and the car has not bin driven for 2 years before I bought it with a donate car from 1988)

http://www.bilgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbi ... ipc=577035 Pics here

Can any one help me with this problems? I am new with cars (my first one - age 22) And i realy wont to get it on the road! It is a realy nice car, or it is gonna be hehe.

Looking forward to hear form all of you pro's :hopping:

Iroll480
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: High RPM in Idle, and more

Post by Iroll480 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:41 am

Thick white smoke coming from the exhaust is a symptom for the headgasket which has blown. Is there a mayonaise looking substance on the underside of the oilfiller cap? Or oil in the coolant? Also look for water in the oil. Pull the dipstick and heat the oil on the dipstick with the flame from a lighter, if the oil hisses and bubbles while heated it''s coming from water in the oil.
And what exactly do you mean with "the car computer does not work"? The car can only run with a working car computer(=ECU)

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:15 pm

I think, that he mean about InfoCentre :wink:

White smoke from exhaust - check the MAP sensor, it's small black box on the right side of the engine wall. This box is connected with the inlet manifold with using thin black pipe. Check what happens, when you disconnect this pipe when engine is on the low idle. Check this pipe, maybe it's broken?
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

Zoist

Post by Zoist » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:35 pm

Well, the oil looks great, not yellow or anything. but i will try the lighter thing later.

and yes, it is the infocenter in the dashboard. it only shows the fuel level in the tank.

I will chek the pipe when I can. can that also be the reason for the engine acts strange when I give it some gas?

Zoist

Post by Zoist » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:44 am

New video of my car

I drove my car for the first time ever! hole 3 meters, it was a grate feeling! but it was too short....

Can anyone tell my what they think when they hear the engine?

http://bilgalleri.dk/vid_vis.aspx?VideoID=37915

Tank you

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:03 pm

Hello :)

Hmmm.... Smoke from exhaust looks like the water wapor. My car produce a lot of this, even when air temperature is high. Headgasket is ok, so i think that is normal in 18E engine type. What is the smell of exhaust gas? Do you smell unburned petrol? If so, check the throttle position sensor-black box on the right side of throttle. Unplug the connector and check what it happens. I remember, that my car had high revs on idle, when TPS was disconnected.

TPS - marked with the square :D

1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D