Diagnostic on B18E???

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

anti-pode
480 Newbie

Diagnostic on B18E???

Post by anti-pode » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi there, could anybody help. Is there a diagnostic fault code reader on the B18E engine anywhere...
Im having a few idle problems and I have tried changing a lot of the usual problem parts..

Im thinkin it might have something to do with a strange sucking noise that I can sometimes hear when the engine is running hard. Its coming from behind the facia somewhere. Very confused????

If anyone could give me any ADvice that would be great.

Cheers

kane
Started learning about 480

Re: Diagnostic on B18E???

Post by kane » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:10 pm

Tried the idle control valve?

Is there a permanent problem when hot and cold?

B18E owner myself and i must say they have poor idle.
109,000 miles Volvo 480 B18E Custom made stainless steel exhaust and Ram air induction kit, Drilled and groved front brake discs brand new front and rear calipers with ferodo brake pads and sport clutch, (Reconditioned gearbox Professional) leather interior, snap off momo steering wheel, redline ignition components and PS2 the ultimate ICE system 4.1 surround sound and a dead speedo............ lol

bigdickbuster
480 Expert

Post by bigdickbuster » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:11 pm

It' s very hard to connect B18E engine to the diagnostic unit. Basically it's impossible without special stuff. I think that the oldest mechanic in your local Volvo workshop don't remember about this solution.

Tell us about your problem, we will try to help you :wink:
1986 480 ES, model year '87, 217 Red - Reliable mate
ex 1990 480 TURBO, model year '90, 231 Red Image This car was a mistake :D

anti-pode
480 Newbie

Post by anti-pode » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks for the replies chaps... I've had idle problems since i bought the car. Had more trouble than i thought trying to identify the problem..

Had a bit of a tinker round under the bonnet and found air hose to the idle control valve had been blocked up with a chunk of metal by the PO. So it looks like they have tried to stop the Idle Valve affecting the idle. Have tested the Idle Valve though and it seems to be working fine...

I have...
adjusted throttle switch
adjusted CO content meter
Checked all sensors ohm readings all seem fine

Im gonna check for possible air leaks next and will post what i find on here, but in the mean time heres the trouble i been getting....

When cold the engine will cut out if i dont keep revs up

When warmed up the engine will idle at either 1600rpm, or idle at around 800rpm but then slowly increase up to 1600rpm. Also while idleing if any load is put on the engine, for example steering, then the revs drop. This says to me that the idle control aint working but like i said before i tested the valve and it was fine.

ANy advice and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Neil

kane
Started learning about 480

Post by kane » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:46 am

sounds very silly but a few simple things to take into consideration, if idle valve appears to be working make sure its well clean, i.e use wd40 and earbuds to make sure its free i think it spins on a bearing so make sure its well coated also make sure no cotton bud drops in it, second check hose from map sensor to intake manifold, (perishes over time) check ignition system, so ht's, dizzy, rotor arm and mostly plugs i have about 5 sets of plugs untill i found the right ones, ignition causes most problems, also running from cold bad can mean faulty engine temp sensor be sure to test ohms on sensors from hot and cold for comparison, i have bad running from cold with mine causing major bkfire but when warm nothing touches it..... hope that helps!!!!
109,000 miles Volvo 480 B18E Custom made stainless steel exhaust and Ram air induction kit, Drilled and groved front brake discs brand new front and rear calipers with ferodo brake pads and sport clutch, (Reconditioned gearbox Professional) leather interior, snap off momo steering wheel, redline ignition components and PS2 the ultimate ICE system 4.1 surround sound and a dead speedo............ lol

LIP
480 Newbie

Post by LIP » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:59 pm

Hi
i had this problem & it was a wire disconnected from the temp sensor, also have you checked your tps is set properly, (throttle position sensor) & make sure
your gas recirculation pipes aren't blocked with gunk & the manfold to map sensor hose is secure with no splits.
Check you're getting proper flow from the fuel pressure regulator, both sides in & out & it's manifold vacuum hose isn't split, there's a fuel filter mounted near the fuel tank that can be blocked if it's old. Have you checked the jets to make sure there's no loose wires & finally ...battery terminals & earth leads & straps, the ecu needs a good steady current to out put a constant 5v signal to the sensors & they can play up if they're not getting a good current. I presume your dizzy cover & rotor arm are in good nick & throttle body to plenum gasket is ok.
best of luck
lip

anti-pode
480 Newbie

Post by anti-pode » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi all, been a while i aint had the time to work on my car...

Got the week off work and been trying to fix the idle problems ive been having..

Reset the TPS position and the position of the throttle itself and also the butterfly throttle valve. This seems to have sorted it.
Ive also replaced distributer cap and rotor arm and put some new spark plugs in... Made things a lot smoother.. woo hoo!

Cheers for the tips guys

480 Newbie

Post by 5781848 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:39 pm

bigdickbuster wrote:It' s very hard to connect B18E engine to the diagnostic unit. Basically it's impossible without special stuff. I think that the oldest mechanic in your local Volvo workshop don't remember about this solution.

Tell us about your problem, we will try to help you :wink:
Anybody know how connect B18E with Fenix 3A to PC?
There is no diagnostic socket in right place...
Thank you for your time!
With best regards,
Dennis