why wont you idle you b*****d!

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

why wont you idle you b*****d!

Post by bkf_uk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:55 am

Right im seriously pissed off now, the 440 just will not idle when cold and cutting out is a pain in the arse!

:badmood:

Been an auto having to hold the revs at over 3k in neutral before pulling away is madness, as you can guess when i put it into drive it just wheelspins! replaced almost every sensor, and there are no air leaks. can only assume that the following thread might be my answer

http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... cold+start

what i have done so far :-
http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=18669

Bar that im just going to red line the bastard when cold to warm it up (i know this will kill the motor very quickly, but atm i feel like setting the sodding thing on fire to warm it up!) seeing as the mot is due in april it only has to survive 4 months before i decide to kill it (this 440 must be vaders evil sister!)
:angry: :angry: :angry: :wife: :kill:
Toys:-
2001 Ford focus (not as much fun as my volvo was!)
94 440 turbo auto (Sent to the main dealer in the sky :cryhard: )
92 Suzuki gn250 (Still in rebuild)

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Post by bkf_uk » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:41 pm

Right problem fixed. That stupid little diaphram valve thing on the end of the icv had died again (3rd one to die, and it was only 300 miles old!) so instead of paying volvo £50 again for something that breaks as soon as you look at it. I have modified a turbo recirc dump valve to do the job. easy job to do and it wont break when you remove it! now starts perfecly and idles as it should. only problem been a humming from the recirc valve as it was dying anyway (the valve was removed and replaced with a 710n due to it fluttering), so will aquire another 710n to take it's place. will take a pic of how i got it to fit, cost of mod to make it fit :- £4!

Right now to get the aux water pump working lol! infact change of mind off to the pub for a well earned :cheers:

Ron_Ice
480 Newbie

Post by Ron_Ice » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Has any one any info on how to modify the dumpvalve to be used as the vacuum valve in front of the Idle control valve??
480 ES '86 -- spares
480 Turbo '91 -- in rebuilding and tuning

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Post by bkf_uk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 pm

i wouldnt get to excited about this yet, am having problems again and it looks a tad more serious now. possible head gasket failure. but will do checks when it isnt artic outside and will report back as to what my problem is.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Re: why wont you idle you b*****d!

Post by pol » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:33 am

I have done this on my old turbo. Just need to find some suitable sized bits of hose and clips to fit it all together. I would do the same again when the valve on my current car dies. The turbo re-circ valves work in the same way as the vacuum operated valve for the idle valve. I had also removed the crank case breather valve and had it venting to atmosphere with a filter. It had a perfect idle but it was a bit messy as oil would leak through the filter. I guess that oil would otherwise be getting stuck to the insides of your turbo so it seemed to be a good idea.

The original turbo re-circulating valves wear out in much the same way though. I would say get 2 of the uprated VW/ Audi recirculating valves.

I documented it somewhere on the forum but not sure where!

pol

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Post by bkf_uk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Yep can agree that 2 new vw 710n valves are perfect for the job, use one for the turbo and one for the icv, just meed some hose to do the mod!

Melvin480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Melvin480 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:08 pm

Has anyone tried this with the old style idle valves? I have a idle valve that has the air inlet after the intercooler. I also have a new air hose after the MAF with the, at this moment plugged off, hole for the new type hose to the idle recirc valve. Can I convert the old system to the new one, using a recirc valve and some pieces of hose?