enging running on

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

enging running on

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:43 am

i seem to be suffering from the engine runnng on when i switch the ignition off sometimes. chugs away (especially if its been on a while and therefore hot) and i have to stall to shut it off. the car's going to get oil, plugs and filters and probably roter arm before the drive south (its been sitting for a year and a half). reckon that'll cure it or could there be any other more sinister reason?

'87 1.7 N/A B18E

gltease
480 Veteran

Post by gltease » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:02 am

Have the timing checked, this can be a cause on other cars, Im not 100% on the 480, anyone confirm ?
'88 Volvo 480 ES
'97 Volvo 940 Turbo

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Robou » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:41 am

Your cumbustion chambers may be full of very sticky residues, carbon mainly, that keep on glowing and ignite the mixture. For this to be true your car should be equipped with a carburettor, because injection will shut off the fuel supply.

The remedy may be a sustained hard drive, which will burn the pollution off and make it disappear via the exhaust. Some chemical may still exist, to be applied through the plug hole.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91

Iroll480
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Iroll480 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:55 pm

I think an injector is leaking after the long lay up.To run on it needs fuel, with contact off there shouldn't be any fuel to ignite. So try a bottle of injector cleaner on a full tank and take it on a long hard drive to free things up and to burn off any residu in the chambers. This of course after the tune up. Maybe this will cure it.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 pm

put injector cleaner and drove 400 miles but very gently as 300 of those were on the spare tyre (will put a post about that eventful day involving red-480)! it still does it now and again just the same. did the very first batch of 480s have carbs? I don't think mine has mind.

someone suggested vacuum leak? also, if the injector's leaking, do i replace it or is it just not sealed in correctly or does it just need taken out and cleaned.

Robou
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by Robou » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:25 pm

440's ever had carburettors, not so 480's. But with all the tuning and tweaking one never knows what's under the hood.

Nevertheless, with ignition switched off, so without proper injection and spark something ignites and this only can happen with, indeed, leaky injectors and glowing residues, the latter may introduce the former because the mixture will be all but perfect.

The injectors will probably leak where they are supposed to spray, obviously the cleaner couldn't cope with the gum deposits.

Don't dump the injectors right away. Have them cleaned in a ultrasonic bath and checked upon leaks. Many workshops have the utilities.
Too old to bother
480 Turbo midst '91