Need help figuring out these leaks

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MartinP
Knows where Volvo is from

Need help figuring out these leaks

Post by MartinP » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I have these three tiny leaks going on under the hood which aren't that important really but as soon as it's wet and creates a pool it has to go, but I need your advice on how to best get rid of them. Here goes:

As shown by the arrows, two small pool with a water/glycol mix are created here rather quickly (5-10 min), but it never pours down on the ground. Since I see that the hoses under the thermostat housing are a bit wet too I'm thinking that the thermostat housing gasket is broken, but could it be something else?

2. When touching the metal underneath the thermostat housing I clearly feel that it's wet from oil and you can actually see a small stream coming from underneath the distributor cap. It's not pouring, but it's visible as a tiny stream. It's not creating any pool though. Could it be the distributor cap gasket or the camshaft gasket? I replaced the distributor cap gasket for less than a year ago so that seems unlikely.

3. Above the 1:st injector are two bolts that hold the intire injector manifold and now of them appears to be leaking a tiny amount of oil as it's gathering underneath it. This is the same bolt that I had to redo the thread on and so I've increased the size. It's tightened really good, but is still leaking. Thread tape would be great, but will it hold the temperature?

Thanks in advance! :hopping:

MartinP
199 White Volvo 480ES -87

"my rear wiper occationally doesn't stop at the right place and goes right round so it is cleaning the number plate instead ... it's quite funny! :lol:" - piper1st

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by felyx » Fri May 02, 2008 3:12 am

hi martin , all i think i can help you with is the OIL LEAK IN THE DISTRIBUTOR.......
in the distributor behind the ROTOR ARM is an oil seal that costs no more 5 euros from "SCANTECH" etc and only takes about 20mins to fit , easy job but don't push new seal in too far when reffiting, mark the level of the old oil seal with a scratch in the metal housing first before removing it etc.

Cheers Felyx
140mph for £175 just test the brakes

MartinP
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by MartinP » Fri May 02, 2008 9:11 am

Oh, I completely forgot about posting back here. All three leaks are solved. I refitted that seal and dealt with the other leaks aswell. The snd oil leak through the bolt by the injectors was solved using liquid gasket (no idea what it's called in English) and the same thing solved my water leaking problem which originated from the thermostat housing. Thanks for your reply though felyx :)

Cheers MartinP
199 White Volvo 480ES -87

"my rear wiper occationally doesn't stop at the right place and goes right round so it is cleaning the number plate instead ... it's quite funny! :lol:" - piper1st