no boost

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

kevwlsn3
480 Newbie

no boost

Post by kevwlsn3 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:48 am

help !!

few days ago i started hearing what i thought was a tiny ari leak... but the more i listened to it it sounded like a small hole in the exhust

Now i am getting ZERO boost.. the boost gaguage goes to the end o fthe white and the turbo hardly spins up ... now i know theres nothign wron with the turbo coz theres no smoke and no odd noises coming from the turbo

i hope its jsut a case of a split / cracked hose or even a bolt loose between turbo/manfold/exhust

the car drives totally fine apart from no boost at all and a slightly bumpy idle...

please help input would be greatly appreciated

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:25 pm

Check the 3 pipes which go to the turbo. They are about 10MM thick.

red
black
offwhite yellow

these get rubbed over the years then get hole which know the turbo out.

they all conntact to a boost valve with a power cable going to it on the bulk head above the turbo.

don't remove the pipes from the valve as the end might snap off (unless your super careful)
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

kevwlsn3
480 Newbie

Post by kevwlsn3 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:23 pm

had a look, i cant seem to see any hoses out of place.

HOWEVER ... the rod that leaves the bottom of the actuator that connects to some piviot thing on the turbo ( sorry dont know that much) wasent actually on lol ... so i replaces that but that dident make a slight bit of a difference...

On closer inspection it sounds like my gasket is blowen the block to turbo manifold gasket .. theres a lot of noise coming from that area

its really strange coz the car runs totally fine... as a 1.7 but with no boost at all ..... i was told by a friend to squeese the pipe that the air flows through and rev the car .. sumthign to do with pressure in the pipe that u can feel... but nothign again... the turbos defo not spooling up as i can no longer hear it...

woudl the blowen gasket stop the turbo spooling up all together or what ? i dont want to put it on to a garage for some 1 to quaot me silly money for sumthign thats easily fixed

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by owen080808 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:45 pm

wastegate stuck open? broken entirely? thats my best guess from what you describe, somewhat hard to test unfortunately. you said the actuator arm/rod was disconnected, did you re-connect it?
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

kevwlsn3
480 Newbie

Post by kevwlsn3 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:56 pm

aye reconected but never made any difference
woudl a totally bust actuator stop all boost?
sorry for my lack of knowledge here i am still earning
much are new ones?

kevwlsn3
480 Newbie

Post by kevwlsn3 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:49 pm

oookkkkkk

jsut took it a blast down the by-pass....... i AM gettign boost but its not coming till WAY high in the rev range ... like 4.5k - 5k

strange.....

kevwlsn3
480 Newbie

Post by kevwlsn3 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:31 pm

this is starting to really p*** me off now at high revs i got no boost again?

can the actuator cause all this problems?

SMOOTH 480
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by SMOOTH 480 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:01 pm

Theres really only one way to find out m8 and thats to take the actuator off and inspect it also check that all the joints around the turbo are tight and that the turbo spins freely by taking the inlet off and pushing the blades
Hope you get it sorted soon m8

Peace Adam
volvo 480 1994 vase green 2.0 es mods- lowered 45mm, 16" gold ssp rims, K&N induction kit, high lift cam, walbro fuel pump
1985 celicasupra ( Project )
member 3285
[img]http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/18/veggies_then_fruit.gif[/img]
Its a volvo not a HONDA you silly chav[img]http://www.coolavatars.net/avatars/18/starwars.gif[/img]

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:32 am

you need to take it to garage and ask for a quote. The only thing i have dealt with close to this is a seized turbo. This wouldn't spool until there was loads of air flowing. Best way of checking this is to let the car cool down like stone cold cool. Remove the intake on the turbo (the black pipe going from the airbox/filter) put your arm down there and spin it. It should spin easily with your fingers.

The other possibity is that you have a knackered intercooler. It is very possibly that a stone may have punchered a hole in you I/C
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

kevwlsn3
480 Newbie

Post by kevwlsn3 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:04 pm

thansk for all your replys.. was runnin it a few more days to see if anythign changed....

symptons are excatally as follows

car starts normally, runns normally i dont even think its goign throught more fuel... foot down the boost pressure goes from -14 to the end of the white and i dont even hear the turbo, or the wastegate when lift. about 70 - 80 mph the boost starts to creep up and about 110 i get my usuall 1/2 throught orange

its either

semi seised turbo .. thats only spooling when theres a mass of air,
actuator stuck open dumping all the boost out,
knackerd intercooler.

i couldent see any burst pipes or disconnected pipes i am goign to take the inlet to the turbo off and see if i can spin it ... should it spin with ease?
also any ideas on how to check the actuator it looks like a sealed unit

thank for all ur imput ill get to the bottom of this eventually

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by owen080808 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:26 pm

yep you should be able to spin the turbo easilly by hand. it is still worth checking for air leaks as well.

i also just noticed your location. if you're ever up glasgow way i'd be happy to have a poke around some evening if i could be of help.
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

kevwlsn3
480 Newbie

Post by kevwlsn3 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:10 pm

that would be awsome m8 ... olny a 20 mins drive away .. gos my brain is gettign pickeled wit this jsut let me know when your free :)

kevwlsn3
480 Newbie

Post by kevwlsn3 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:44 pm

well boys and girls ... shes back to normal :)

what was wrong?

well when the actuator rod fell off the wastegate was when i was noticing the no boost ... so i put it back in

THE WRONG WAY.....

i put it on upside down so i was either keeping the valve open or closed dont know which took it to a friend who rectified the problem and back to boost!!! weeeee

now to get me hands on a richmod.... the guy still about?