Iginition Coil?? - not starting!!

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

kitt
Started learning about 480

Iginition Coil?? - not starting!!

Post by kitt » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:04 pm

hi guys - need a little advice!! - i pulled into a petrol pump filled up - then when i turned the key NOTHING!!! - it wouldnt turn over at all!!! all ignition lights light up and batt volts is ok. i ended up having to clutch start the car and it started no probs!! got home and now its starting up again???!!!! but fro about a month now i could hear it struggling to start only sometimes though

just wondering if it could be the ignition coil or even maybe the starter motor - i kno its had its recall on the motor so its not the design fault one

Cheers :D

Oese480T
480 Newbie

Post by Oese480T » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:03 am

Could be the starter motor... If it's the same as with mine, this will happen more often with time and then one day it's really gone..

You mean a weird sound like"aaahaaahaaaaaaaaah" by struggling for starting? And the motor doesn't turn or only slowly? Then I would think starter as well....

I think it's the magnetic contact, this wears out with time... Sometimes, a hard strike on it makes it go again, but only for some time... And it's not really very accessible, at least in a turbo..

crispy-d
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by crispy-d » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:47 pm

If the engine's not turning over then it isn't likely to be the coil causing the problem. I too think it sounds like the starter. If you can take it off easily enough, just take it to an auto-electrics shop/garage and have them recondition it. My old 340 starter gave up, so I just took it off and took it into 'Nacton Auto-Electrics' and they reconditioned for £30!! It was good as new.

Thing is, it may just be a loose connection too, so you could check that first. When you turn the key to the 'Start' position, does the solenoid click? If it doesn't, it may just be that. Or it could be a dodgy earth connection from battery to chassis.
Volvo 340 GL 1.7 :) - Nice (RWD missed) - sold
Volvo 460 SI Turbo ('Rich Mod' / 2.5" Longlife SS exhaust / 710N CBV / Cold Air Intake) - (Turbo missed) - sold
Volvo S90 3.0 CD 24v (RWD back again! LOVING the straight six :) ) - is 16mpg that bad...? - sold
BMW E34 540i 6-speed Manual V8 :) - sold
BMW E39 M5
Land Rover 110 V8

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:00 am

go simple first....the live cable from the battery has lots of junctions in it....make sure these are clean and seated properly before splashing loads of cash on other parts.....my silver turbo also had a slight nick in the live as it went down to the starter.....must have rubbed through on something.....it only touched occassionaly, but must have earthed out or soemthing....taped that up and it was fine....shame the rest of the car was a bag o shite.....make sure the termianls are tight too.....you would be suprised just how much difference it makes.

rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

kitt
Started learning about 480

Post by kitt » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:15 am

thanks guys - i will check all the things you've suggested - and let you kno what i found! :D

terrastudios
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by terrastudios » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:50 am

The other thing is if you look at the starter motor you have a white (or grey/white) solenoid cable that runs across the top of the gearbox housing and its either attached to the starter with a spade or a ring terminal, sometimes the weather/vibration gets to these and it corrodes/works loose. I'd check this and if needs be crimp a new connector on.

On top of the gearbox housing is a single one pin plug which the white or grey solenoid cable connects to the main engine loom, if in doubt i'd unplug this, shove a multimeter between this and the engine block and get an assistant to try and start the car and make sure +12V is on the solenoid cable.
Website - http://www.tracklogic.co.uk/
Fenix protocol converters, OBDII, wide band controller, GPS, lap timers