Randomly cutting off boost

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:08 pm

ill get it wired in then, although i think it will rev over 4k whilst its just being revved but it cuts under load :s
Make: Renault : Model:Clio t : Year: 1993 : Colour: Blue Met.. : Engine: 1721cc

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)

Rapid-R5
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Rapid-R5 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Are you sure you have boost soloniod piped up right? Are you using the volvo actuator, or a stronger one?

steve
Renault 5, 1.7 volvo turbo engine, turbo technics turbo, lowered on koni, scorpion stainless exhaust, samco and stainless pipework, front mount intercooler, about 170 bhp.....more to come!

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:06 pm

Rapid-R5 wrote:Are you sure you have boost soloniod piped up right? Are you using the volvo actuator, or a stronger one?

steve
Using a forge acuator, might this be the problem?

Was going tpo go down but its too cold out! lol

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:20 pm

AHA!

go adjust it and have another go.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:26 pm

martinholmesuk wrote:AHA!

go adjust it and have another go.
How do i adjust it??

It was on the engine when i got it so unsure on what to do??

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)

Rapid-R5

Post by Rapid-R5 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:32 am

First of all, take the actuator arm OFF the wastgate, take her down the road and see if it cuts out or owt, that way you not making any boost, and you'll know if boost is the problem (i think)

My guess (and martin by the sounds of it) is its got to much preload on it and not opening OR its got too strong a spring in it and its not opening.

By not opening i mean it holds more than 1bar of boost, and your getting to the boost cut before it opens.

steve
Renault 5, 1.7 volvo turbo engine, turbo technics turbo, lowered on koni, scorpion stainless exhaust, samco and stainless pipework, front mount intercooler, about 170 bhp.....more to come!

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:05 am

AH right ill try that. might put a standrd one on and try it, just see how it goes. ill eport my findings ;)

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:44 pm

You are going about this the wrong way....

Start out with everything as near to standard as possible. Once you get the engine running perfecty like that, then you can start doing other things. Trust me it will save you time when things don't work as they should, if you only change one thing at a time.

Get that boost gauge sorted out, along with all the other gauges (if not already done), otherwise you could blow the engine up or something silly because you can't see what is going on.

Consider also adding as a minimum... Some sort of Air/Fuel ratio meter (narrowband is ok just to check you are not getting lean mixtures).

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:52 pm

The engine went in with a few mods from the guy i got it from,

He told me it ran fine with these bits! Lies! :lol:

I have sorted it now any way and on the way to getting all other sensors etc on and working.

I wired in the boost gauge and it reads between 6-7psi, its a little hard to read on the gauge.

Thanks for all the help, im sure there will be more questions on the way. :lol:
rpruen wrote:You are going about this the wrong way....

Start out with everything as near to standard as possible. Once you get the engine running perfecty like that, then you can start doing other things. Trust me it will save you time when things don't work as they should, if you only change one thing at a time.

Get that boost gauge sorted out, along with all the other gauges (if not already done), otherwise you could blow the engine up or something silly because you can't see what is going on.

Consider also adding as a minimum... Some sort of Air/Fuel ratio meter (narrowband is ok just to check you are not getting lean mixtures).

Richard

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)

rpruen

Post by rpruen » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:20 pm

dave wrote:The engine went in with a few mods from the guy i got it from,

I have sorted it now any way and on the way to getting all other sensors etc on and working.

I wired in the boost gauge and it reads between 6-7psi, its a little hard to read on the gauge.

Engine swaps are always tricky as you almost have to change a lot of things at once. If nothing else you are learning something new, so if others do the same thing you can help out.

I'm happy to help, sadly I have limited time, or I would be more involved.

I'm glad the car is now going ok. Better to get the sensors working ASAP, as it would be a shame to see a simple problem kill the engine. It's unlikley I agree, but best not to tempt fate.

Your boost seems about right, give the engine a while to settle down. Any problems should surface fairly quickly.

As for people selling things... Well they quite often gloss over the bad points... That's life I guess.

I hope things go a bit better from now on.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:26 pm

rpruen wrote:
dave wrote:The engine went in with a few mods from the guy i got it from,

Engine swaps are always tricky as you almost have to change a lot of things at once. If nothing else you are learning something new, so if others do the same thing you can help out.

I'm happy to help, sadly I have limited time, or I would be more involved.

I'm glad the car is now going ok. Better to get the sensors working ASAP, as it would be a shame to see a simple problem kill the engine. It's unlikley I agree, but best not to tempt fate.

Your boost seems about right, give the engine a while to settle down. Any problems should surface fairly quickly.

As for people selling things... Well they quite often gloss over the bad points... That's life I guess.

I hope things go a bit better from now on.

Richard
I thank you for all the help, without the people on the forum i would be at a loss.

I am in the process of getting all the sensors goinf properly.

Where would i get one of those air/fuel gauges you are on about? Whats a rough cost?

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)

Rapid-R5

Post by Rapid-R5 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:33 pm

Browse ebay dave.

steve

dave
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by dave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Rapid-R5 wrote:Browse ebay dave.

steve
I will at work tommorrow :p

Scooby Dooby Dont ;)