oil separator valve questinon

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

bbf
480 Is my middle name

oil separator valve questinon

Post by bbf » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:30 pm

Hi!

Does anybody know the function of a valve, which is located on oil separator (item on page 127 of partsbook)? I mean, how it works and why is my valve breathin thrugh every hole on it (gues the diaphragm has gone to diapragmheaven).

can this valve be simplified somehow?

Thanks for answers, Bye!

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:52 pm

ah, thats why i have idler valve trouble on and on, and thats how the inlet is so dirty.

mine must not function right!

is the "oilpan ventilation" in the old times this was just a hose running from the top down, as a breather, now the air has to be used again. Problem: because it contains oil, and dammages the sensible instuments like the idler valve and the airmass meter. this is why the seperator.

If I were you i would take it apart. Maybe you can make a diafragma your selves.

so rip the parts out of your car, and give em a nice petrol bath. Remove, inspect, clean and ininstall.It might be better.

Ps: the part with the electrical connection is called the thermistor. I think it keeps the outlet ice free in winter
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

bbf
480 Is my middle name

Post by bbf » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:43 pm

here is something I draw:

In the coating of part 1, there is a valve with spring and rubber diaphragm, as shown in diferent views on the picture. The air is venting through every hole to another one, whic makes the valve defect. Specialy the small hole on the bottom is problematical, which is used for venting the outer side of diaphragm. So, there is air leakage to the intake manifold through the hose 2. Since the diaphragm is rotten, I do not know, how the valve works. I can not take it apart, it is glued together and any attempt opening would irreparable damage its housing (I think).
I was thinking, the best way to solve at least something would be sealing the small hole and putting all back on and let hope for the best :) or buy a new one. But i have to wait till parts arrive and so on... Sealing wouldn't solve the whole thing, there would be some amount of air uncontroled flowing betwean turbo intake and intake manifold, instead of all engine intake air flowing through throtle valve and idle valve. I gues idle valve should compensate that failure on idle running, but when turbo boosts, it boosts all the engine, not just combustion cilinders... hm, maybe this valve is a one-direction valve exactly for this situation! that could be simply solved by attaching such valve on hose 2? worth a try...

The heating element (7) is what you call thermistor? I'm pretty sure this heater is for melting the ice which forms in hose 5. The ice comes from oil and watter steam mixture loading in hose in winter. That's why the hose is coated in thermal coat (6) and tha valve in it's coat (1). By the way, it's resistance is meassured 10ohm. I don't want to know, what would happen to the engine, if the hose freezes...

The dirt in this sistem is allways present in older cars, through my experiences...

by!
Last edited by bbf on Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
'98 S40 T4, replacement vehicle, hardcore power
'86 480 ES, RIP :(
'91 480 Turbo, RIP :(
'93 480 2.0, RIP :(
'90 480 Turbo, hailed roof, fighting wounds, 260.000km, daily bolide :)
'81 345 GL cvt, waiting for a new life, 200.000km :)
'82 244 GL 2.4D 250.000km restoration project
[url]http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/bbfbbf/[/url]

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:17 pm

do you think a blown oil separator membrane wil cause bad idling ( sucktion of false air?) Hmmm interesting.

Always thought some how these guys who boost up the inlet pressure were kind of naive. Know a blown up brake assit too !

If I was you i ordered a new serparator, but also try to open the old one.

The idler valve isn't meant to open too, but if you presist, every thing goes.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen