Fuel line size?

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

gingherheed
Can tell where the 480 was built

Fuel line size?

Post by gingherheed » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:58 pm

I need to replace the fuel line on one of my cars. It's done quite well for a 1988 car! Anyone tell me what gauge I need to get for this? I'm thinking it's 5mm but before I go charging off to Europarts? I'm just after a second opinion. Cheers all.

volviz
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Re: Fuel line size?

Post by volviz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:24 am

you mean the plastic line that goes under the car?
Image&ImageImage

gingherheed

Post by gingherheed » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:41 am

Yeah. I need to replace the whole line from tank to injectors. I think it's 5mm but I do like to make sure of these things!

gingherheed

Post by gingherheed » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:38 pm

Car is now sorted. The fuel line is 6mm (thanks for the piece you sent me Jim). I got 5 metres of braided and some clips (£14.10 the lot) and my mate came round to help (well mainly do it as he's a mechanic!) Got the car up and changed the fuel filter. No joy though. The fuel line turned out to be in better nick than I first thought so didn't need doing. After much pondering (and checking for a spark and fiddling with wires and so on) I decided to have a listen to the fuel pump. Heard it trying to prime but not hearing the slight hum it makes made me strip out the back seats for a closer listen. It wasn't pumping! And here is the problem. The gauze filter at the bottom of the pump had collapsed and the papery looking liner had disintegrated and pieces had been sucked into the pump. This reduced the amount of fuel going into the line hence the "hunting" revs. Eventually it caused a blockage and jammed up the pump. Fortunately I salvaged the pump off the launch car breaker and we got that in. Changed the leads and plugs (plugs corroded) and fired her up. Now running sweetly and fingers crossed that will be that until the next drama with her.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:55 pm

No problems reported on this issue especially as there are heat shields in place.