aircon big trouble

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

yknot
Knows where Volvo is from

aircon big trouble

Post by yknot » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:13 pm

Hello,
Since i buyed my 1990 480turbo, the aircon was defective and these days i started to fix the problem(a split hose). I've replaced the hose(i kept only the metal ends), fitted and regassed. After regassing and engine running, the dryer gets warm and after few moments when i put revs higher, a big boom scared me. :badmood:
After a short inspection, another hose was splitted, but the system seems to be weird connected: one hose goes from compressor directly to heat exchanger and the other one goes from compressor to the condensor(front aircon radiator), then to the dryer and from the dryer to the heat exchanger and both hoses connected to the compressor are individual. I've compared this route with the manual and it's totally different. The aircon system seems to be aftermarket compared to my ex 1990 turbo and another 1993 turbo.
Ideas?
volvo 480turbo 1990 RICHMODED, adjustable FPR, SSQV BOV, free flow exhaust. - sold
1.6 16v Suzuki Samurai with many mods.
Nissan Note DCi

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:20 pm

That's not a volvo air con system. It's after market mate. You have a fan on the condensor for starters and in the 2nd pic the big can and hoses are in the wrong place.

Yes I noticed it's left hand drive 480. The loom is also different.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

yknot

Post by yknot » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:31 pm

i've found some aftermarket ac installations and schematic.

i'm tottaly confused

this is my ac setup
volvo 480turbo 1990 RICHMODED, adjustable FPR, SSQV BOV, free flow exhaust. - sold
Nissan Note DCi

yknot

Post by yknot » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:45 am

I've replaced the other split hose, regassed, and the car is chilled. :D
Nissan Note DCi

NAES
Started learning about 480

Post by NAES » Tue May 19, 2009 1:18 pm

Hello!!! I have 480 IT IS, the compressor this one in good condition(state), the condenser repararón, and the gas bomb is new, but the car not enfria and when I put the air conditioning since(as,like) very very coldly it(he,she) comes to the 15 º, podeis to help myself please, I am driven to despair and in the workshops they cannot repair it.

NAES
Started learning about 480

Post by NAES » Thu May 21, 2009 11:00 am

I bought two small but very powerful fans to put on the condenser, and tomorrow it'll make you the photos, the size is ideal because it involves two fans.
The mechanic told me that might make the A / C cool at least 2º more, one thing is something you will keep informed