New Car - things to do (Changing Timing / Cam Belt)

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

rgreenhalf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

New Car - things to do (Changing Timing / Cam Belt)

Post by rgreenhalf » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:38 am

Hi there, im a complete Volvo 480 newbie and having driven around on my car for a while ive been advised to change the timing belt as i dont know its history. What do i need to change at the same time as the belt, ive heard tensioner and idle pulley as well as aux belt?

Help much appreciated, im planning on going to German Swedish in the next few days to get it sorted! Any is there anything else i need to essentially do other than change the oil?

Thanks very much :D

robin_xr4i
480 Expert

Post by robin_xr4i » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:25 am

Get the pulley kit done at the same time as the belt...... I had my belt changed, then 2000 miles later one of bearings exploded! Had to have a new pulley kit and another cambelt :angry: (it was pure luck that it did not cause more damage)

Get it done for peace of mine......

Oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, flush the rad etc

I use 10w40 fully synthetic castrol oil in my turbo.

anyway welcome :D
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/robin_xr4i/newsign.jpg[/img]

My old Volvo 480 // Type: Turbo // Year: 1992 // Colour: 305 - Black Metallic // Engine: B18FT // Mods: Rich Mod, Recirculating Piston Dump Valve, Pi Lowering Springs, Induction Kit