What to watch for on 480 Turbo Automatic when buying

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

deface
480 Newbie

What to watch for on 480 Turbo Automatic when buying

Post by deface » Tue May 24, 2005 9:54 am

Hi guys,
I'm looking at buying this 480:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... locale=STF

Does anyone have any advice worth my knowing about what to look for, watch out for etc. The bloke says he won't take less than £950.

My insurance company says it will be £413 a year for cover on an auto turbo, plus i have to fit a statute (?) immobiliser on top of the Volvo one as they don't recognise the standard one? Weird eh?

But anyway, helpful tips on buying one of these babies would be very welcome. I'm a newbie here btw. Thanks
|*fourteen inch waistline*|
|*D.E.F.A.C.E*|
|*david-earth-freak-altamont-christ-experience*|
| www.deface.co.uk|
| dave@deface.co.uk |

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Tue May 24, 2005 10:12 am

First of all welcome to the club. :D

Your best man to ask about Turbo Auto's is Steve aka Catgroom. He has a white turbo auto. As with buying any car you will probably know what to look for, eg crash damage, rust etc etc.
The 480 suffers from a few chaming niggles such as rear arch rust, electrical gremlins, interior trim weakness. Leaks are also high on the list. For £950 i would expect to be getting a very good turbo. Mine was double that when i bought it last year and i paid way over the odds for it.
The rear lights are a common leaking point for the 480 so check the boot and rear passenger footwells for moisture. Make sure that ALL the electrics work including all the selections on the trip computer.

You don't say how old you are but i'm 27 and paying £300 fully comp for my turbo manual and dont need any extra form of protection.

I'm sure you will get many more responses from the forum members and if you have any questions feel free to ask, were a friendly bunch! :D

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Tue May 24, 2005 10:13 am

Just looking at your advert on autotrader again and i'm sure that car was on ebay not long back. i maybe wrong though.

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Tue May 24, 2005 10:16 am

radionapper
Started learning about 480

Post by radionapper » Tue May 24, 2005 11:00 am

Roo wrote:Just looking at your advert on autotrader again and i'm sure that car was on ebay not long back. i maybe wrong though.
Can confirm it was - cannot remember what it went for but dont think it went over £1k.
Red Celebration 2.0 - Lots of miles (and trouble) but never a dull day!

www.radionapper.co.uk/volvo480

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Tue May 24, 2005 11:02 am

http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/for ... php?t=6537

dude, try not to post the same thing in more than one forum.....you tend to get split replies, members repeating themselves in different threads etc.
Not a dig, more just gentle prodding!
rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

deface
480 Newbie

Thanks Roo

Post by deface » Tue May 24, 2005 11:03 am

Much appreciate the info. I have realised that this same car has been for sale on this very forum before here:

http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/for ... php?t=6389

Interesting that he seems to be having problems selling it. I wonder if all is as he says it is or something? Getting a bit twitchy about it now. I'm 42 btw so your insurance is very very good, who's it with. I'm with Directline. I have never made a claim and have been driving since I was 17. Never had a prang so.....

Thanks again
|*D.E.F.A.C.E*|
| www.deface.co.uk|
| dave@deface.co.uk |

deface
480 Newbie

Point taken Rob

Post by deface » Tue May 24, 2005 11:07 am

I realise that now, being a newbie I figured maybe some people would only mainly look in one section so by posting in two I was hopeful of more responses. I was wrong. Sorry guys. Shant do it again.
|*D.E.F.A.C.E*|
| www.deface.co.uk|
| dave@deface.co.uk |

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Tue May 24, 2005 11:16 am

no worries dude.......like i said, no dig......dont sweat it....most members read all the forums anyway!!
rgrds, and good luck.....ps, see my post in the other thread re manual turbo

rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Re: Thanks Roo

Post by Roo » Tue May 24, 2005 2:14 pm

deface wrote:Much appreciate the info. I have realised that this same car has been for sale on this very forum before here:

http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/for ... php?t=6389

Interesting that he seems to be having problems selling it. I wonder if all is as he says it is or something? Getting a bit twitchy about it now. I'm 42 btw so your insurance is very very good, who's it with. I'm with Directline. I have never made a claim and have been driving since I was 17. Never had a prang so.....

Thanks again
You should be able to get it cheaper. I got mine from a recommendation from someone on here. (sorry cant remember who) the website is www.its4me.co.uk and came out considerably cheaper then the others i had tried. :D

atex61
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by atex61 » Tue May 24, 2005 4:14 pm

Content removed.
Last edited by atex61 on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

eh???

Post by catgroom » Tue May 24, 2005 5:27 pm

M767 SUD???

Eh??? I thought Chad had put a deposit down on this car (hes Turbo Man on this site)

Hi!!!!!

I have a 94/M Turbo Auto.The main thing is check for a whooping sound from the gearbox when changing gears.Mine did it between 2nd and 3rd when accelerating foot half down mate.

Check for service history,see if starters been changed or budget for that-about 200 quid.Check sunroof operation,that it closes properly.put in reverse and give a bit of throttle carefully!,and listen for clonks from front left.This is worn gearbox or rear engine mounts=200 ish incl fitting or much more if rr engine mount i think......

Check for water leaks,discolouration of carpet or dampness if possible...

or take one of us with u if thats possible!

Steve. :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by stu chacks » Tue May 24, 2005 6:07 pm

Amir (seller) is in Pinner (london), your so close just go over and take it for a test drive - was interested myself but decided to hold out for a manual in the end.

Still holding out...... :(
Stu.

deface
480 Newbie

Post by deface » Wed May 25, 2005 7:15 am

Hmmmm I think he did have a buyer that fell through. I wonder if it was Chad and if so why it fell through. Hmmm got me wondering now.

Anyway I go to see this car at midday today, so we'll see I guess. Maybe be driving it home later :)

Which means my trusty 1990 (Hreg) Red 480 ES Lambda Sond may need a loving new home with someone who has the time and know how to give her some TLC, she has fantastically reliable engine, done 135k now tho :(,

but exhaust has gone,
drivers side electric window gone,
drivers side mirror needs replacing,
interior needs tidying (just putting panels back and a good clean I guess, but it is a little tatty in the boot area) it needs a bloody good T-cut, and the right hand headlamp needs looking at as it is sticking.
the rear brakes need looking at, the handbrake isn't working so well, and the brakes in general don't feel quite as strong as they used to,
oh and I guess the rear light lenses need replacing if you're to be picky, they got cracked when I was lifting a very heavy bassamp into the boot some time back :(
MOT til July 3rd

There's the info, guess we'll see what happens today.
I'll let you know, off to make my checklist now :)
|*D.E.F.A.C.E*|
| www.deface.co.uk|
| dave@deface.co.uk |

VanDerGraaf
480 Is my middle name

Post by VanDerGraaf » Wed May 25, 2005 10:14 am

Yeah, know that feeling, my friend broke a bit off of one of my rear clusters when putting his bass in my 480. He swears he didn't but it was! :lol:

Good luck!
08 Renault Laguna III Sport Tourer 2.0T 4 wheel steering madness
00 Citroën XM ES9 V6 incredible

Previously:
00 W210 Mercedes E430 V8 estate LPG .....wünderbar!
00 W210 Mercedes E320cdi estate dead, eaten alive
95 Citroën XM 2.5 TD estate dead
95 Citroën XM 2.1 TD stolen/dead
'97 Saab 9000 Aero gone
Vase Green '94 Twin Pipe 480 Turbo
"Scar", Vase Green '94 Turbo dead
"Green Goblin" '93 Turbo Auto PITA, dead
Grey '88 ES dead
Steel Grey '93 480 Turbo sold and believed dead

deface
480 Newbie

Woohoo

Post by deface » Wed May 25, 2005 7:06 pm

Indeed I did buy the car this afternoon. It's a peach. Very straight, everything is as it should be. Goes like a scalded cat. Superb :)

Only thing is now my poor ailing 480 ES Lambda Sond needs a loving home. I piut the info on the for sale section if anyone is interested please let me know. Preferably soon as I only have 7days grace on parking permits.

Thanks for all the help
cheers guys
|*D.E.F.A.C.E*|
| www.deface.co.uk|
| dave@deface.co.uk |