Trying to restore red 91 turbo...

Cleaned up the garage and found some parts you want to sell? Or are you looking for that one part? You can advertise or request just about anything that has to do with the Volvo 480 in here: brochures, towing-hooks, antenna's, etc etc...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dan
Knows where Volvo is from

Trying to restore red 91 turbo...

Post by dan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:16 am

From post in general :)
Needed:
Passenger side (LHS) door window motor.
Possibly motor for LHS pop up light.
Rear light cluster covers both sides, middle looks ok for some reason. Maybe l'll just get them lacquered?
The petrol/boot release mechanism and the housing as l'll likely break mine trying to get it apart.
Boot gas struts (if 100% ok, otherwise l can get some from East Europe l think?)
Some arse appears to have nicked my rear wiper bolt cover (triangular bit) and the wiper arm from under the arm cover (which l still have), so that whole assembly would be good.
Dashboard surround (the plastic oblong trim that edges the console).
Those little heater buttons that go all grey and powdery, any suggestions there would be good.
Front number plate holder
Front grill (the silver metal trim bit, mine's bent and corroded).
Rear fog lights with the connectors/last foot of wiring.

Brake discs are rusty as hell but work.. ha! The fronts are custom (bell housing, hangars, discs) so tbh l am not sure how l go about replacing those discs, any pointers here would be much appreciated.

Anyone know where l can get new metal/fiberglass rear quarter panels??

Also l need to get some center nut adaptor/extenders fabricated for the front wheels so they aren't just attached to the car by 4 bolts. The spacers push the front wheels out too far and it no longer sits on the center pin. Yep dangerous, but need the spacers to clear the brake discs and calipers - this is an issue l meant to sort out prior to me walking away for 7 years.

If l can get the above sorted out then l am expecting to send it off to a car restorer for the bodywork.

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Trying to restore red 91 turbo...

Post by doingitsideways » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:54 pm

Looks like Jim's gonna have some room in his shed, for a short while atleast! ;)

Good to see someone restoring one, rather than breaking for a change.

Maybe get a restoration thread going? :)

Steve :hopping:

Edit: Just seen you have, kind of.
Get some pics up, or we won't believe you!
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:48 pm

dan wrote:From post in general :)
Needed:
Passenger side (LHS) door window motor.
Possibly motor for LHS pop up light.
Rear light cluster covers both sides, middle looks ok for some reason. Maybe l'll just get them lacquered?
The petrol/boot release mechanism and the housing as l'll likely break mine trying to get it apart.
Boot gas struts (if 100% ok, otherwise l can get some from East Europe l think?)
Some arse appears to have nicked my rear wiper bolt cover (triangular bit) and the wiper arm from under the arm cover (which l still have), so that whole assembly would be good.
Dashboard surround (the plastic oblong trim that edges the console).
Those little heater buttons that go all grey and powdery, any suggestions there would be good.
Front number plate holder
Front grill (the silver metal trim bit, mine's bent and corroded).
Rear fog lights with the connectors/last foot of wiring.

Brake discs are rusty as hell but work.. ha! The fronts are custom (bell housing, hangars, discs) so tbh l am not sure how l go about replacing those discs, any pointers here would be much appreciated.

Anyone know where l can get new metal/fiberglass rear quarter panels??

Also l need to get some center nut adaptor/extenders fabricated for the front wheels so they aren't just attached to the car by 4 bolts. The spacers push the front wheels out too far and it no longer sits on the center pin. Yep dangerous, but need the spacers to clear the brake discs and calipers - this is an issue l meant to sort out prior to me walking away for 7 years.

If l can get the above sorted out then l am expecting to send it off to a car restorer for the bodywork.
Boot struts: I got them from the Eastern European eBay you memtion. Very quick delivery and I can recommend them.

Heater controls: If you mean the two triangular sliders (and not the row of push buttons from air-con and very early cars) then they were recently still available from Volvo for a ridiculous £7-ish I say ridiculous because they used to be under £1! They do smarten up the centre dashboard though and I always replace them on my 480's.

Rear lights: have you seen the recent post about polishing with the Meguars kit from Halfords? I'll be trying that myself. I have had a previous car lacquered but unless the plastic is already polished to a very high standard you don't get as good result as you'd expect. I used two part too. You could maybe re-lacquer post Meguars polishing but in my opinion it's not necessary if polished properly.

Have you looked on the Skandix website for parts? They do things you can't get elsewhere. If you are feeling flush, they still do new rear lights but I'll let you go and gasp at the price!

Your rear arches: good luck restoring your car, I've done a few myself. I'd consider the rear arches a pivotal factor on whether or not to continue. I'd investigate and tackle them first if they are bad because it'd be disheartening to fix everything else and then find that the rear arches are too expensive to fix. Of course, surface rust can be sorted relatively easily and successfully.

Best of luck mate. I'm glad you are restoring your 480. Some pictures would be interesting, especially of the rear arches. Also, hbere are you based?
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dan

Post by dan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:36 pm

This is what it used to look like.
http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 6&start=40

Its the red one, although the camera seems to have turned it a bit pink.
Nigh immaculate. Actually makes me sad now l look at them. :(

l'll take some photo's of its current state when l see it on tuesday. Its parked on the old neighbours lawn (l moved house) awaiting an undoubtedly hilarious MOT.

Edited to add: In Norwich

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi

I can definitely supply the window regulator for the passenger side + the petrol boot release mechanism.

Need to check on rear foglight + wiring but am pretty sure I have one of these with the wiring.
Might have the grille trim and should have a complete rear wiper as well.

Will check tomorrow and pm you with everything that I supply + uk postage.

:D

dan

Post by dan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:29 pm

Photos have been added to imgur linked from the gen discussion post.
http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 06#p205006

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:21 pm

found one of these in the shed of max density :D

would help if I said what i was talking about =======> the wire/metal for the front grille

going out just now to check on rear foglight.

Have a rear fog now just have to wait until tomorrow to find the wiring :D

dan

Post by dan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:16 pm

No rush on the tardis-shed to be honest GlasgowJim. If you check the photos l got some larger issues. New bits don't mean a thing when half the car is rotted :(

l will have to speak to the restorer and see if the job is going to be even half way reasonable. If l can't wangle a deal then the car is pretty much a write-off. The only reason l am not considering a new one and using this as the spares donor, is that it has a paid for reg plate l can't get off it without an MOT.

If you have body panels going mind you...