Front speakers

Here you can post things about ICE (In Car Entertainment). Like how to install GPS navigation, a DVD-player and other yuppie-stuff. This category might be moved to "those other things" in the end...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Front speakers

Post by frenchfries » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi all

I would like to revisit the issue of speakers in Skip. I have sound coming at the rear but nothing at the front. The radio seems to be properly connected and I have tried Balance Fader etc but without luck. The connection to the speaker on the driver side seems awfully loose but it does not explain why there is no sound coming from the left I guess.

I will give Skip a decent radio later on with Bluetooth and all that but should I end up wanting to change the speakers are they a common size? I did read 5.25inch but I did also read tat there might be a compatibility issue with the tweeters. I am not an electrician so maybe I am missing the elephant in the room :)

Help
1993 Turbo auto called Skip for the important stuff
2011 Juke 190 for everything else

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Front speakers

Post by timrosser » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:49 pm

I think 13cm or 5.25 inches are fine. When I replaced mine replaced the tweeter too, I think all after market 'component speakers' include both. I from memory the volvo is unusual in as much as the tweeter just runs directly from the woofer without using a crossover (which splits the high and low signal) which would probably be the 'compatibility issue' you mention. I'm pretty sure I took the easiest way by replacing both- although I did just get my garage to fit them, I dont like the look of getting the tweeter out!

Good luck!

Tim

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:28 pm

timrosser wrote:I think 13cm or 5.25 inches are fine. When I replaced mine replaced the tweeter too, I think all after market 'component speakers' include both. I from memory the volvo is unusual in as much as the tweeter just runs directly from the woofer without using a crossover (which splits the high and low signal) which would probably be the 'compatibility issue' you mention. I'm pretty sure I took the easiest way by replacing both- although I did just get my garage to fit them, I dont like the look of getting the tweeter out!

Good luck!

Tim
Yes, this is what I was referring to about "compatibility". It is true that speakers have evolved, so if I buy 3-way speakers I need to disconnect the tweeters on Skip? There is no connection from the back of the radio and it all go through the speakers?

Espada
Started learning about 480

Post by Espada » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:45 pm

You will find the sound the tweeters are able to produce will be limited by their size so although it would be preferable to have a crossover, they will have natural physical limitations.

As far as connect or disconnect the choice is yours. I have just fitted some new speakers and connected them mainly because they are there. For appearance I still have the DC942 so that itself will limit things.

No sound from both front speakers suggests the head unit, especially if connections are good. If you are not able to swap around the connections at the rear of the unit to feed the front speakers to the back you could test the line with a 1.5v battery. Identify the two connections to the speakers connect one to the battery and then very briefly tap the other on the battery, do the speakers go pop, if they do it again points again to the head unit.

Only other thing is do not buy the cheapest speakers. I opted for mid range, they lasted one journey and are now in the bin. If you use the tweeters you can opt for two way speakers which hopefully will be of better quality, after all if you look at the size of the proposed third driver the chances are you cannot hear it.

Its the usual, buy cheap buy twice.

Regards

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:01 pm

Espada wrote:You will find the sound the tweeters are able to produce will be limited by their size so although it would be preferable to have a crossover, they will have natural physical limitations.

As far as connect or disconnect the choice is yours. I have just fitted some new speakers and connected them mainly because they are there. For appearance I still have the DC942 so that itself will limit things.

No sound from both front speakers suggests the head unit, especially if connections are good. If you are not able to swap around the connections at the rear of the unit to feed the front speakers to the back you could test the line with a 1.5v battery. Identify the two connections to the speakers connect one to the battery and then very briefly tap the other on the battery, do the speakers go pop, if they do it again points again to the head unit.

Only other thing is do not buy the cheapest speakers. I opted for mid range, they lasted one journey and are now in the bin. If you use the tweeters you can opt for two way speakers which hopefully will be of better quality, after all if you look at the size of the proposed third driver the chances are you cannot hear it.

Its the usual, buy cheap buy twice.

Regards
If I buy 2-way speakers, the original Volvo tweeters will connect to the new speakers? Is the connection: Radio to speaker to tweeter?
If I buy 3 way speakers I can ignore the Volvo tweeters completely? Is the connection: Radio to speaker/tweeter?
OR
Are the tweeters connected to the radio?

I was doing some research based on size and "ways", it seems that the 3-way option has got 4 connections but I am not certain:

http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/ ... F3_way%3D1

Apologies for all the questions I cannot find wiring schematics :)

Espada

Post by Espada » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:26 pm

You can connect the tweeters to both the two and three way speakers, both will be fine.

My observation on using two way speakers is that unless we hack the door to fit larger speakers, we are limited to 13cm (5.25"), basically why pay for the third speaker if it is too small or high pitched to hear it.

Hopefully a two way speakers at the same price be be of better quality than three ways.

Connections will all be in the door and four connections at the rear of the speaker will be very useful as this means there will be two + and two - connections. Connect the cables that feed the speakers to one set of + and -, then connect the tweeters to the other + and - terminals.

The original speakers fitted by Volvo had four spade terminals, so copy them and you will be fine.

Regards

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Espada wrote:You can connect the tweeters to both the two and three way speakers, both will be fine.

My observation on using two way speakers is that unless we hack the door to fit larger speakers, we are limited to 13cm (5.25"), basically why pay for the third speaker if it is too small or high pitched to hear it.

Hopefully a two way speakers at the same price be be of better quality than three ways.

Connections will all be in the door and four connections at the rear of the speaker will be very useful as this means there will be two + and two - connections. Connect the cables that feed the speakers to one set of + and -, then connect the tweeters to the other + and - terminals.

The original speakers fitted by Volvo had four spade terminals, so copy them and you will be fine.

Regards
So, 2-way speakers and the original tweeters connected to them. I recall 4 connectors at the rear of the Volvo speakers.

One last question, the 2 fixing screws are standard, they will fit into new speakers, right?

Espada

Post by Espada » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:12 pm

2 way speakers with the tweeters connected, yes fine.

The other added bonus of two way is that with less items protruding in front of the speaker, there is more chance of the original grille fitting without modification to the panels.

Fixing screws by keeping the speakers the same size as standard they should all line up. I say should just to be cautious but see no reason why they will not. The fixings provided are very universal.

Regards

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Espada wrote:2 way speakers with the tweeters connected, yes fine.

The other added bonus of two way is that with less items protruding in front of the speaker, there is more chance of the original grille fitting without modification to the panels.

Fixing screws by keeping the speakers the same size as standard they should all line up. I say should just to be cautious but see no reason why they will not. The fixings provided are very universal.

Regards
Damn, I cannot see 4 spades at the rear though:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=TS-G1 ... RbBFUL8sNM:

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 pm

if you need extra terminals. Just replace the standard spades with piggy backs and job done.

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:48 am

Can I solder the 2 "+" together and do the same with the "-"?

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 am

Got this job to do myself.... looks like I'll be doing a how to!

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:03 pm

I think I found what I need.

Bearing in mind I am not after mind-blowing performance this Clarion set has 2 "+" and 2 "-" so it would happily replace what I've got: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX355_.jpg

Unless I am missing something these are the ones I will go for...........

Espada

Post by Espada » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:53 pm

These will work just fine ,with the four connections it will save you having to join the cables as they will just plug straight in.

You have also noted the rear speakers only have two terminals, remember the second pair in the front are used to power the tweeters, there are no tweeters in the rear so you do not need to use the spare terminals. However ,should you require extra terminals the piggy back connectors suggested by Athuy will be the easy solution

But don't forget that the front speakers currently have no sound, prior to changing your speakers do try and sort this first .

Regards

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Espada wrote:These will work just fine ,with the four connections it will save you having to join the cables as they will just plug straight in.

You have also noted the rear speakers only have two terminals, remember the second pair in the front are used to power the tweeters, there are no tweeters in the rear so you do not need to use the spare terminals. However ,should you require extra terminals the piggy back connectors suggested by Athuy will be the easy solution

But don't forget that the front speakers currently have no sound, prior to changing your speakers do try and sort this first .

Regards
Perfect

The entire assembly on the driver side (where the spades are) is loose so I might as well install the new pair and get Halfords to replace my existing radio and fix the no sound issue.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Trust ye not the Halfords half-wits.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:23 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:Trust ye not the Halfords half-wits.
Not much choice around here :eek:

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:45 pm

Quick update.

Skip's front speakers were definitely shot. I replaced them with a pair of Clarion SRG1313 and the sound is very very good :) On top of that they are designed to work with external tweeters so this set is really a straightforward swap.
And there is a pair on Ebay for £25 right now: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLARION-SRG13 ... SwbIRZbO7T

Have you got the specs for the rear ones? I fancy a change as well.

Best

Moi

frenchfries
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by frenchfries » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Good people?

Have you got the specs for the rear speakers?

Moi

balto8
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by balto8 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 pm

For rear speakers you mean the ones in the side pannel of the cubby hole ones?

I have the cubby hole setup and when it came the time to replace them I found they're specific measure for the hole. No manufacturer makes an aftermarket replacement for them. I managed to fit after some DIY, and some isolating foam to cut vibration of the cube, this ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-40CS464-4 ... B00BGRMFD6

On the front I have a separate tweets setup with this set

https://www.amazon.es/Alpine-SXE-1350S- ... B0000WS0N2

Sound is overall much better than the originals. Remember as well to add isolation foam around the speakers in the door card and the door gap to cut vibration of the door card and the door side pocket
1991 480 Black Turbo
2012 Seat Exeo ST
2013 VW Polo TSI DSG