wheel arch height?

Everything that doesn't belong in the previous categories probably belongs here. Interiour (how are the seats mounted? how to remove the CEM?) and exteriour (how to replace the popup-lights shock absorbers or a door) are discussed here!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:24 am

Well, all I can say to the poster is: Don't be persuaded by me, Volvofox or anyone else by word alone - Come to the UK meeting next May and drive my car and decide for yourself (several of us let others drive each others cars - I got to drive a 2.0 litre for the first time :D ) - that's always the best way.
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

James Paul
Started learning about 480

Post by James Paul » Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:36 pm

Hey Volvofox!

Thanks for letting me know. I am very happy with the way standard 480's look and was more concerned that i had a fault with my suspension. Although lowering the car for some brings refinement to other it seams it brings trouble, and our 480 being what it is, a lottery, the risk is sometimes questionable. Guess its down to how much you love your 480.

Realistically if i spent the kind of money like Ben has on his, i think my girlfriend would probably cut my balls off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: If i was loaded with cash maybe it would be a fun experiment!

Take care

James
1990 480 Turbo.
95k miles on the clock.

hereagain
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by hereagain » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:17 pm

Just my two Pennies worth...

I would agree that you should replace things that are broken..
I would agree that a standard car might benefit from upgrades in various areas...

I would say that Volvo/Lotus and Porsche all knew what they were doing when they designed and built the 480...

Do we know better..?

Probably not, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

I have had fun with "modding", but on a car more suited and where it was needed, that car was a Ford Fiesta - hell it was crying out for it, but NOT my 480, I would prefer to see it original.

Just my opinion...and what are opinions like?...assholes, eveybody has one.
Black 480ES J Plate
http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v14/Hereagain/
Steve
Cambs

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:34 pm

I agree with what you are saying hereagain,

However I feel that cars are inherently a compromise,
For example suspension: the 480 is designed to handle well, but also to be relatively comfortable, So it is up to the owner to set there preference,
For the general public this will be the standard factory settings, for others this will be a slight modification. But keep it in mind that every thing is connected to everything else, e.g.. Up the power, then you need to up the Brakes, Clutch (not really needed in 480) etc, But you can see what I am getting at. Before you know you have spent thousands.

Though I am still considering 'upgrading' my suspension, and 100hp just isn't enough for me, and I need new front discs anyway so I might as well................. What!!!!!! My bank statement is what!
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:01 am

I am not a black and white guy. I am not saying a 480 should be strict original, aldough i leave what i feel is fine, and think always what my money would bring me, efficiency wise, aldough this is not a strict rule too. as I say I am not a black and white guy ( the world has too much of this!)

as I am an overmortaged unemployed single guy (well, not really unemployed) I do nothing, and try to fix the silliest things.

I Am also not too fuzzy about looks, they say nothing.

the looks and suspension cannot be improved If I am asked, they are fine.

to here again : I learned my lessons too.
overkill in modding your car as you are young is just a fase some people have to go through. (me too) Some spent more money than others before they get wise. Some never learn. :lol:
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

cranna21
Can tell where the 480 was built

Re: wheel arch height?

Post by cranna21 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Sorry guys, know this is an ancient topic but, my 480es has a 45mm gap on both rears and 45mm on the front drivers side, however on the passenger side I have 50-55mm the tyres on the car are 185 55 15's on some ronal turbos, any ideas why this one corner is different and if this is standard height? I worked it out so these ronal alloys are the same diameter as the standard volvo wheels that were on it (185 65 14)
Thanks
'91 480 ES 2.0l 16v 'Williams' Conversion - 212bhp/230nm
'90 940 GL 2.0l Estate
'08 XC90 D5 SE Premium