Irregular voltage

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterT
Knows where Volvo is from

Irregular voltage

Post by MisterT » Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:40 pm

Hey,

I have some electrical problem which I think are the result of an irregular voltage, but I don't know for sure. Some of the symptoms:
- three of the warning lights on the dashboard are continuously a little lighted (whiper fluid, voltage and handbrake - same group?) and are reacting on the gas pedal. The more gas I give the brighter they light up and sometimes when I stop, they go out (as they should be)
- SRS light flashes sometimes (irregularly, while driving)
- rear-window-heater-relay in CEM clicks when I turn it on and is not broken, as I have replaced the CEM (now I have two working CEM's :-) )
- the infocenter sometimes shows all info at once (could be humitity though)
- when I'm in first gear and I push the gas pedal, the voltage meter sweeps to 14 volts/the red zone

A while back I had a flat battery and the road services (ANWB) removed a resistance that was lose and that was fitted by the previous owner. He said it was a solution for the problem of the dynamo interferring with the radio signal, but I think it was a solution for the problem stated above. But I don't know what resistance it was (10 Watt, somuch I remember, do I need to know more?), so I can't put a new one in to test.

Any ideas if the problem could be related to the resistance being removed? Has anyone experienced any irregulare voltage problems?

Any help is very much appreciated.

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:27 pm

You should have been possible to dig in the old files. There is tonns about this.

You should remove the dash (see info) and remove the clockhouse. Clean the connectors.
Open the clockhousing and take out the biggest print. On the flipside you will see the places where the 18pinns connectors are soldered. if you look closely you will see cracks. Clean all the contacts you see, especially the big illumination halogen lamp contacts. clean all the connectors you see with real contactspray, and a old tooth brush ( best is an interdental brush(=a toothpick with tiny bristle on it)

what you see has nothing to do with power fluctuations, but with bad ground in the dash, due to a bad connection.This is a very common little sport on an elder 480

for best results connect a brow wire to a brown wire to the dash, and fix it good (remove all pait at this spot) to the bodywork some where.(make an extra ground spot)

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:09 pm

fluid, voltage and handbrake
Same here!! But mine is OK now :?
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

MisterT
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by MisterT » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:14 pm

Volvofox, thnx for the info! I'll check it this weekend.

I don't have an older 480 though, it's a '95, but still a handful.

Martinholmesuk, did you do the same as Volvofox siad and now the problem is solved?