Turbo question, screw

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

levin
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Turbo question, screw

Post by levin » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:02 am

Hi there, again,

I'm about to acquire a 480 finally (yeah..it's been awhile).

Well, i found out about this mint condition white 480 here in Portugal, but the thing is, the 'salesman' told me something that I didn't quite understand.

He told me that the last owner (the first owner of the car) didn't want the car to be 'that' fast (was an old guy) so he went to Volvo and they 'closed' the turbo boost a bit, by turning a 'screw', for what i understood.

Well, firstly I want to know if that 'screw' exists, and if it can open and close down the boost.

Secondly, if it exists and yada yada and if I buy the car, how should the 'screw' be?

I'm planning afterwards on sending the CEM to Richard btw and need to know if this interferes...

Sorry if this has been posted yet...used the search, but didn't find a thing :(

Kind regards,

Francisco

robin_xr4i
480 Expert

Post by robin_xr4i » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:04 pm

From the sounds of it, its the actuator rod.

The actuator controls the waste gate (which lets the exhaust gas bypass the turbo when the boost get to a set level) The actuator is linked to the waste gate via a rod. Which has a thread on it, this can be adjusted to give more or less boost.

The previous owner probably had the actuator adjusted to boost less and later. This can easily be changed providing the actuator is in good condition.

This Saab 9000 site shows how to adjust the rod:

http://www.saab9000.com/procedures/exha ... stadj.html

If you are unsure what to, get a garage to adjust it. (if they ask what you are talking about leave quickly)
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/robin_xr4i/newsign.jpg[/img]

My old Volvo 480 // Type: Turbo // Year: 1992 // Colour: 305 - Black Metallic // Engine: B18FT // Mods: Rich Mod, Recirculating Piston Dump Valve, Pi Lowering Springs, Induction Kit

levin

Post by levin » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Thanks Robin. Very helpful link :)

Btw, does anyone has the picture of it? So when I go to see the car, know what to expect ?

Cheers

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:18 pm

I'm planning afterwards on sending the CEM to Richard btw and need to know if this interferes...
Not the CEM, You need to send the igition ECU from between the middle console

remove carpet and it's inside a form type holder.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

levin

Post by levin » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:21 pm

martinholmesuk wrote:
Not the CEM, You need to send the igition ECU from between the middle console

remove carpet and it's inside a form type holder.
I meant the ECU...don't mention :)

Thanks