Lambda wiring question

All the information you need on engine-problems is here. The engine includes the Turbo-charger, airco and everything else you'll find under the bonnet.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Bakke
Tuning oracle

Lambda wiring question

Post by Bakke » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm planning to add a lambda sensor to my car which is non lambda. The goal is to install an A/F gauge and not to controll the ECU or engine.
I got hands on an old 480 lambda sensor but I'm searching for a wiring diagram for the 3 wires attatched to it. Someone who can help me out?
Thanks a lot.
Bakke
Whoever said : " A Volvo cannot be tuned ?!? "

Name: Goldlocks // Type: TURBO // Year: 1988 // Colour: 435 Saffron Pearl // Engine: B18FT (1.7) Rica chip, Custom Volvo widebody and lots of ICE

Derek
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Lambda wiring question

Post by Derek » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 pm

if its from a 480 it should have three wires a green one with a single spade and two white ones going to a two pin connector. the two the go to the same plug are for the heated element to heat the tip of the sensor faster and the green wire on its own is the signal out put wire. if your only using it for an AF gauge i think you only have the use the green wire but i read some where that you really need to use a Wide Band lambda sensor but they are really expensive.

Bakke
Tuning oracle

Post by Bakke » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Thanks Derek for your fast response :hopping:

So if I get it right : green for the signal and the 2 white wires are for the power and ground?
Do the 2 white wires have a polarity or isn't there a differance on whichone I connect to power / ground ?
Any one who can confirm this?

True normally I need a wideband to have a more precise readout, but they are more expensive. The car has been tuned by a professional tuner so I count on their knowledge that the care turnes safe. I only need an A/F as backup in case an injector malfonctiones or something else that put the lambda reading offscale, not really for fine tuning :)
Whoever said : " A Volvo cannot be tuned ?!? "

Name: Goldlocks // Type: TURBO // Year: 1988 // Colour: 435 Saffron Pearl // Engine: B18FT (1.7) Rica chip, Custom Volvo widebody and lots of ICE

Derek
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Derek » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:08 am

You really don't need to connect the white wires at all unless you want the heated tip to work. but if you do use them they'r not polarity sensitive ( any white wire can be positive as long as the other is negative ) think that makes sense.